+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone done Europe with a tour group or know someone who has?

Thinking of taking ds ....

Not interested in doing it myself so please no opinions on why I shouldn't take a tour group. I think this would be the best option for us.

Any feedback?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DH and I did a 12 day tour of Europe in 2010. We loved it. It was our first time in Europe (and DH's first overseas trip in fact) so we didn't want to have to worry too much about anything. We went with Trafalgar. There were people on there aged 14-80 with more older people than younger, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, Americans, South Africans and even two women from England! There was one family with teenage kids so it's definitely possible to take your DS.

There were a few blow ups between people and the usual issues when you have 30 or so strangers in close contact for 12 days, but we really enjoyed ourselves and met some amazing people. I'm trying to push my parents to do it actually!

Do you have any specific questions?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH & I did a 15 day European tour with Cosmos in 2012. There were a couple of families with kids aged 8 & up doing the tour also. We had a ball, it ticked all the boxes for us - we would consider doing it again with kids.
    How old is your DS? I would recommend a coach tour for kids over 6.
    Pros - you get to see all the major sights with minimal stress, many meals are included, meet some great ppl (we made fast friends with a couple in their 80's from NZ!), it's pretty cost effective.

Cons - some days you can spend up to 6 hours on a bus, most accommodation is not in city centres so your ability to do independent things is limited, some of the included meals are pretty average & might be difficult if your DS is a fussy eater, he has to be able to hold his bladder for 2 hours as that is the time between stops lol! The pace can be relentless - not much down time - maybe plan for 3? Days either end of the tour to rest & relax.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH and I also did a Cosmos your around Europe in 2011. We toured for 21 days around Western Europe (Grand European). We found this this easiest way to see as much as we could. I don't think we could have organised anything even close to what we did.
    We had people aged 10-65 with the majority between 25-45. We had an amazing time although it can be pretty tiring and you don't always get long in each place. We had one family onboard with us who had 3 kids and they had a ball. There are quite a few early morning starts on travel days in order for you to get to your next destination before night but it's worth it.
    When you do a tour, they also book you into hotels which are not very close to the inner city (to keep costs down) so most outings are usually done with the group so there isn't much time to do things on your own. We absolutely loved it and would do it again any day.
    Also, one more thing. If you want to do anything extra like for example- a gondola ride, climb the Eiffel Tower or tour the Vatican it is an extra cost on top of your tour cost. The tour organise it so you don't have to but they are all optional. Hope you have a great time, DS will love it!

ME 28 Mild endo, Mild pcos : DH 33
    TTC # 1 : 3 years : OI x 3 BFN 2012 : IUI x 3 BFN 2012 IVF # 1 BFP! 2013 DS 29/9/13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've done tours with insight tours. Not a bad word to say. Parents have done loads of tours with insight and Trafalgar and they've had great feedback.
    All depends really if you get a good tour guide/rep. They make it really.
    Good luck! Hope you find a tour that suits. I think it's a great way to see Europe without having to worry about organizing anything.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your advice. Still looking and researching.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    DH and I did a 12 day tour of Europe in 2010. We loved it. It was our first time in Europe (and DH's first overseas trip in fact) so we didn't want to have to worry too much about anything. We went with Trafalgar. There were people on there aged 14-80 with more older people than younger, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, Americans, South Africans and even two women from England! There was one family with teenage kids so it's definitely possible to take your DS.

There were a few blow ups between people and the usual issues when you have 30 or so strangers in close contact for 12 days, but we really enjoyed ourselves and met some amazing people. I'm trying to push my parents to do it actually!

Do you have any specific questions?
    Ha ha hilarious ! What did they fight about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Ha ha hilarious ! What did they fight about?
    Each day we would move back one row on the bus, so we'd all get to sit in different spots eventually, obviously the tour director thought it would be fairer. About half way through someone didn't want to give up their plum position and harsh words were exchanged. It was sooooo awkward but kind of funny.

Oh, I also forgot about one of the oldies who'd go on about nudie runs and what not. Gross. And for some reason a group of the oldies would click their tongues in time with the bus indicator when it was on. They were like children!
    We ended up making friends with a small group and every night we'd hang out in whichever room was best and get pretty smashed. Lots of fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ha the exact same thing with the seats happened on our tour! One day an older couple got to the front & decided they should stay there for the rest of the trip! There were fireworks - we sat back & watched the show 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hijack but do they do tours with kids