+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Unlike nsw, in Queensland, you can choose the public school your child goes to. There's no catchment area. Are you going public? Perhaps you could look at a different school or contact the dept of education. You should not be forced to start your child.

I have a May baby and July baby. My daughter started school this year and turned 6 in May, my son could start next year but he won't be.
    All the state schools on the Gold Coast are zoned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Yip enrolment management policies definitely exist in QLD. All schools have a catchment zone and it is up to the school if they enforce it or not.

But rather then more schools introducing plans I believe a lot of schools in QLD are removing previous enrolment plans as of next year as Year 7 moves to high school so that has taken pressure off enrolment numbers.
    The opposite has happened in our area, there was a huge influx of preppies so they had to enforce the catchment, my sons school was set to have approx 10 prep classes this year before they cut it off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    They are called `enrollment management plans' and not all schools have them. They generally introduce them if the school is above capacity for their resources.

Our local school has not had an enrollment management plan until this year as for the first time they had 3 prep classes, from next year they will only accept students from the catchment zone or siblings of students already enrolled and cap the numbers at 2 prep classes. Any school with an EMP you can apply as an out of area and they may have places to offer or may not.

I'm sorry you had that experience LillyPily! I would contact EQ to enquire if making prep compulsory changes things as my understanding was the policy was based on the legislation that you have to have your child enrolled in school by age 6.
    Yes, you are right! I had an email from EQ and I was informed that you can delay starting prep, but the FYOS will always start with prep. As long as the child is enrolled by the legal age of 6, you CAN delay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkie For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (11-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two eldest both started Prep the year after their intake. They are both June Babies and that extra year made a huge difference for them. We did not have any issues with enrolling them later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

nikkie  (11-08-2014)