+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Starting Prep in QLD

Hi, our family could be moving to Brisbane from Sydney at the end of the year. DS is a March boy and while he could have commenced FYOS in NSW this year, we made the decision to start him in 2015, based on the advice of his preschool. In NSW starting later seems to be "the rule rather than the exception" but from what I've read, Queensland is stricter with its starting times and that is it uncommon to hold back. I'm concerned that DS will be one of the oldest in Prep. I even read somewhere that he might have to start year 1 because of his age (what the???). Are there others out there who have experienced this situation, or an QLD parents who made the decision to delay starting prep? Cheers.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We're in Qld and delayed start of Prep for DS. His birthday is 2 weeks before the cut off and he had a profound speech delay. I was expecting it to be an issue when I enrolled him in school (local state school) but there was no issue at all. However, I have heard other stories from people that they have had to jump through various hoops for the school to accept the delayed start. I had already planned ahead and I had letters from DS's speech therapist and kindy teacher recommending delayed start.

To the best of my knowledge DS is the only child in his year who had a delayed start thus making him the oldest.

I would recommend getting reports and anything you can from health professionals, kindy teachers etc to support your case should you need to provide evidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds1 started prep in qld last year and there were 2 children I know of in his class who started late. And I know of 3 starting late next year in dd class. None of their parents have mentioned any difficulties wiry doing this - all the same school though. I will try and remember to ask if they had to do anything special and repost.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    At DDs school there are just a couple in her grade (prep) that are older but I believe they have repeated rather than delayed start.
    Based on what they've done academically so far this year I think it would be difficult to put a kid straight into year 1 without them having done Prep first.
    Sorry no advice on what you'll need to do to have him do Prep next year. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. No, definately wouldn't let him go into yr 1 without doing a prep year. This thought was based on the way prep used to run before , when it wasn't compulsory and before the National Curriculum was rolled out ?? I guess I'm curious to know if he will generally be with a much younger group of kids? Time will tell. btw, I've noticed from other chat forums , that it seems to be mentioned a lot that kids have repeated prep in QL. In NSW, repeating Kindergarten is rare (could be due to fact there is option to start FYOS in the yr you're turning 6??? Cheers
    Last edited by nikkie; 02-08-2014 at 15:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are the same. Moving from nsw to qld. DS was born 13 may 2011 so I was holding him back to start kindy in qld 2016 then prep 2017. I hadn't even thought it would be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    We are the same. Moving from nsw to qld. DS was born 13 may 2011 so I was holding him back to start kindy in qld 2016 then prep 2017. I hadn't even thought it would be an issue.
    Neither had I until I started doing some research! From what I have worked out you can delay the start but it seems QLD is pro starting year u turn 5 with June 30 cut off. If you delay - and this a eems to be the grey area- do you need documentation to support reason for delay? What you'll also find interesting is ( correct me if wrong) Qld kids did 12 yrs education as opposed to the 13 years in the other states. In 2007 "prep" was introduced - non compulsory and playbased learning, just like our pre schools in NSW. If you didn't do prep , your FYOS was year 1 (other words prior to 2007 you entered year 1 at age 6). Now the National Curriculum has been rolled out, prep has academic outcomes to reach to bring them on par with the other states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wi have to suss it out when I get up there. I want him to be in the same year as his neice as they were born 3 months apart and very close and I just want them in the same year at schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is due to start prep next year (I can only speak for the public system). It is the parents choice when to enrol. This is what it says on the Ed Qld website...

It is not compulsory for your child to attend the Prep year as soon as they are old enough—5 by 30 June in the year they enrol. You can delay their entry by 1 year if you feel they are not ready, but when they start school, they will still start in the Prep year.

I have spoken to the principal at the school we plan to send DS to, he basically said, yep see you the year after next then. We did not require any assessments (DS does not have any special needs, I just believe 4.5 is too young to start school).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    DS is due to start prep next year (I can only speak for the public system). It is the parents choice when to enrol. This is what it says on the Ed Qld website...

It is not compulsory for your child to attend the Prep year as soon as they are old enough—5 by 30 June in the year they enrol. You can delay their entry by 1 year if you feel they are not ready, but when they start school, they will still start in the Prep year.

I have spoken to the principal at the school we plan to send DS to, he basically said, yep see you the year after next then. We did not require any assessments (DS does not have any special needs, I just believe 4.5 is too young to start school).
    Thanks for reply. I found the ED Qld website. Totally agree that 4.5 is too young. My DS has no learning/speech probs either, we felt he wasn't mature enough. Principal of our local (NSW) said "they've plenty of years of schooling ahead of them and the extra yr will give them the best possible start"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkie For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (03-08-2014)