+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lost milk supply and baby refuses bottle - Pls help!

Hi All,

I am am feeling rather desperate as my milk supply has been reducing and. I am at a stage where I have very little to no milk left. My 4 month old baby will only have breast milk and refuses expressed milk and formula in a bottle. I have tried to give her both through syringe and cup and she spits them out. I have tried to increase my supply many ways and it isn't working - motilium, fenugreek, blessed thistle, nursing tea, lactation cookies and by expressing after she feeds. She had a tongue and lip tie and both were cut 7 weeks ago.

I have called the ABA and they were unable to suggest anything else. I have an appt with a lactation consultant on Wednesday but that feels a long time away. I can't get in any earlier.

At the moment, my baby has both wet and dirty nappies, but I think it is on,y a matter of maybe 24 hours until she will be dehydrated. She is refusing sleep because of hunger.

I am after suggestions for how to teach her to have formula. Can anyone help. Have you or has someone you know been in this position before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could look at using a supplemental nursing system/supply line. Has someone else tried giving a bottle of formula without you in the room?

On the motilium, what dose did you try? I needed about 8-9 tablets a day to EBF, it took about 1-2 weeks of taking that many for my supply to build up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I have tried having other people feed my bub whilst I am out of our flat.

i have been having 1 motilium tab three times per day, but am now only having 2 tabs per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people needs to take quite high doses of motilium for as long as they breast feed. Others can wean off it. Can you see a doc about increasing your dose?

In the meantime a small amount of cooled boiled water if you can get it in to help delay dehydration? And just letting baby stay on the breast and suck as much as they want. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    try using the medela supplemental nursing system. You put the formula into a bottle that hangs around your neck and it has two little tubes (I only ever used one, trying to get two tubes in bubs mouth and a good latch was near impossible for me). You position the tube near your nipple and bub takes both the breast and tube and then gets whatever milk you have plus the formula. I uses a sns for over 8 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I was taking 3 motillium, every 6 hours! But I never noticed a significant improvement with my milk supply. I was on it for 3 months and eventually weaned off because all it did was make me gain weight and have a super dry mouth. I was starving ALL THE TIME! Lol

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I needed to take 3 x 3 motillium per day for any increase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    try using the medela supplemental nursing system. You put the formula into a bottle that hangs around your neck and it has two little tubes (I only ever used one, trying to get two tubes in bubs mouth and a good latch was near impossible for me). You position the tube near your nipple and bub takes both the breast and tube and then gets whatever milk you have plus the formula. I uses a sns for over 8 months
    Well done you feeding with the SNS for 8 months!!!

I couldn't wean off motilium without my supply going down. It did make me starving too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-DGS

Jack Newman is very well respected. I'd be looking at putting the motillium dose up to be closer to his recommendation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't find a store in Sydney to buy the SNS from today. Can you suggest anywhere?