+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epilepsy?

Does your child have Epilepsy? If so when did they hade their first seizure and get a diagnosis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably not what you are looking for as my child doesn't have it but I do, have since I was a teenager but here to answer any questions I can if that helps.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had petit mal seisures as a child, just the ones where you zone out and your head goes down, I had one grand mal seisure, this was around 3 - 5 years of age, it was diagnosed as infantile epilepsy, and the seisures stopped, never to be seen again, although the doc did war that I could possibly get them back as a teenager, it never happened though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.
    Can I ask...is there something that triggers your seizures? Especially grand mal seizures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    I had petit mal seisures as a child, just the ones where you zone out and your head goes down, I had one grand mal seisure, this was around 3 - 5 years of age, it was diagnosed as infantile epilepsy, and the seisures stopped, never to be seen again, although the doc did war that I could possibly get them back as a teenager, it never happened though.
    This is really interesting to me, as I swear my daughter was getting these (zone out, unresponsive) some research led me to believe she was having absent seizures and just as I was about to mention it to DH or a Dr I haven't witnessed it again ...

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    Thanks ladies.
    Can I ask...is there something that triggers your seizures? Especially grand mal seizures.
    I can't really answer that, as I only had one, I was sent to have a brain scan though, and they said it was just because my brain was growing 'too fast' or something like that - this was over 30 years ago now, I'm just remembering what Mum told me at the time!!

How old is your child?

@MummaOJ it could well be, and I think if I'd just had the little ones, my parents would not have worried, but I had the nasty one, where I was found lying on the ground rigid and shaking, making funny noises (so my sister said) and then my Mum tried to put her finger in my mouth to stop me swallowing my tongue, and had to ride in the ambulance with me, with her finger in my mouth, as I clamped down, and wouldn't let her finger go lol. Poor Mum!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a fb group called epilepsy parents australia if you want to join I have epilepsy and just on there incase my son gets it with his brain damage plus my epilepsy!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Triggers for me is food, lack of sleep and it can be lights etc for others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My child doesn't have Epiliepsy. He's had 2 grand mal seizures though and I'm just researching to see what might have caused them. He's 2. The doctor thinks it might have been just a virus, but I'm reluctant to call it that. There was no temperature or any other problems. He's a well boy usually.

Thanks for your help. He was sleep deprived at the time of his first seizure. It is good to know that it might be important for him to get lots of rest.