+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low Lying Placenta

Yesterday we had our first midwife appointment. All went well but late yesterday afternoon, the midwife called and asked if we'd spoken to the doctor about our 19 week scan we had 3 weeks ago. We said no and asked what was wrong. She said I had a low lying placenta and that I'll need to speak to the doctor about it.

I can't believe we didn't know about this before now. Is that strange??

I bled for weeks earlier in the pregnancy and I've had about 6 scans and no one could explain why. Could this be the reason why?

I have no idea how much of the cervix it's covering or anything like that but I've read a million things in the last 12 hours and I'm hoping it moves.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had low lying placenta for my first, it did stretch away as my uterus expanded, and was totally fine. Most of the time it's OK.

When you can contact your doc and get actual measurements, you'll be able to assess it a lot more easily, as there are 4 grades of severity depending just how close it is sitting.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi Jodes,

Sorry the midwife called and stressed you out like that without giving you any real information. I had a low anterior placenta at my scan and the doctor said that again when we went through the report together but he said that it wouldn't matter as there was enough room for bub to come and it wasn't previa. I think previa is the word where it covers the cervix.

Good luck! Hopefully it isn't too low or if it is it moves up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

I had never heard of it before so I never asked about measurements or anything!

My appointment is on Monday but I think I'll call the midwife today and find as much out as I can off her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got the same thing - 20 week scan showed low lying placenta. Depends on how low it is, but mine was only just covering the cervix and I have been told it will move up, no one has doubted this. I have a repeat scan at 33 weeks to double check its placement just in case. They will most likely offer this to you too, I am just seeing it as an opportunity to see bub again

Also re the bleeding - I had bleeding a couple of times a week from week 19 to around week 25. The ultrasound tech told me it was most probably from the placenta being disturbed a bit and bleeding. I assume it has moved upwards now as it has stopped. It could be the same for you.

Oh also the dr visits - this is routine if they find something like that and the hospital had booked me in for 2 drs appointments about it (which they didn't tell me about!). However I am going through the birth centre so she cancelled them, as I am being looked after by my midwife and she has arranged for the scan (which is all the dr would have done anyway). Try not to feel too concerned about that either
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 01-08-2014 at 12:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Don't stress too much yet. In majority of cases it moves before baby is born and there are no dramas. Your doctor should keep an eye on it and will probably do a scan later in your pregnancy to see if it's moved.

Mine didn't move in my 1st pregnancy and I had to have a c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was low in my first preg and I had a scan at 34 weeks to check it out. It had moved up as my uterus grew and wasn't an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's not uncommon to have a low lying placenta. Most placentas will move out of the way as your lower segment grows in your third trimester. Ensure you get a repeat scan 34-36 weeks to check it's clear of the cervix (any earlier than 34 weeks is usually pointless as the lower segment hasn't stretched up fully yet and you will most likely still have a low lying placenta). If at any point in your pregnancy you have bleeding, head into the hospital to get checked out. They will tell you if it's a praevia (covering the cervix/os).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw my OB today. The placenta is 1.2cm from my cervix and it's posterior.

The problem is, all the blood vessels going from the placenta to the cord is too close to my cervix. She said if this wasn't the case, she wouldn't worry about the placenta.

I have to have a scan at 28 weeks, if the vessels are still there, another scan at 38 weeks. If they're still there then, a c-section at 38 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So is it more of a vasa praevia then? Any sign of bleeding at all at any time in your pregnancy, straight to hospital for you!