+ Reply to Thread
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default chicken pox ?????

I think my DD has chicken pox

She has 5 or 6 spots on her face, 1 on her head (under her hair) and 4 or 5 on her arms.

She woke up during the night with a tummy ache ... but seems fine now. no fever or headache, feels fine.

Anyway - I have kept her home from school today. If it is chicken pox - how long does she have to stay home from school for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    "This is called the 'incubation period'. Someone with chickenpox is most infectious from one to two days before the rash appears until all the blisters have crusted over. This usually takes five to six days from the start of the rash."

FIL had shingles earlier this year and we wouldn't let him anywhere near newborn DD.

Hopefully your DD doesn't feel too bad for too long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    She is feeling on but definitely has spots.

She had a major calisthenics competition on the weekend (150 young girls in close contact) so probably from that.

She is happy enough. Gets to stay home from school and watch movies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you take her to a doctor because it may not be chicken pox. DS had spots a few months back and I was so sure it was chicken pox but it turned out to be something else (less serious).

If it is chicken pox, check your school's exclusion policy for when she can return.

Glad to hear she's happy enough. I remember getting chicken pox at school and got to watch lots of tv and movies and it wasn't too bad, luckily for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    I had chicken pox at primary school ... But I was a bit sick so I don't remember it being that much fun.

I can't get to the doctor today so just seeing how it goes for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    ok - so its been a whole day ...

the spots are certainly not darker - they are fading a bit (but still there). Still just look like little mozzie bites.

There are about maybe 20 all up ... on her face, neck and a couple on her arms.

no more have appeared that I have noticed anyway - and they arent itchy.

so now I dont know if its chicken pox or not. (couldnt take her to the doctors today ... might have to tomorrow if I am still unsure if it is or not)

if it is chicken pox - would there be more spots by now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    ok - so its been a whole day ...

the spots are certainly not darker - they are fading a bit (but still there). Still just look like little mozzie bites.

There are about maybe 20 all up ... on her face, neck and a couple on her arms.

no more have appeared that I have noticed anyway - and they arent itchy.

so now I dont know if its chicken pox or not. (couldnt take her to the doctors today ... might have to tomorrow if I am still unsure if it is or not)

if it is chicken pox - would there be more spots by now?
    It could go either way. Some kids get really massive, sore, oozing spots and some barely any at all.

I'd take her to the doctor. She might have school sores or something? School sores are a thing right? I remember having them when I was a kid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    yeah took her to the doctor today.

the spots are still kinda there - but certainly havent progressed into anything. If anything they have faded.

anyway - Dr said he doesnt seem to think its chicken pox - as even a mild case would normally still have the spots that are there develop into little blister things.

So perhaps just a virus or skin issues result in pimples/rash type thing.

He gave me a script for anti-b's if it develops into school sores (which he doesnt think they will but just in case so I dont have to go back to the dr's), and said just to keep an eye on them

if they develop into blisters, keep her home. Otherwise assume its not chicken pox as it doesnt really seem like them (or is an extremely mild case)

but in essence - he thinks its something else