Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you not an Australian citizen?

Sent from my LT29i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter was born here and is a citizen as we're both permanent residents. Quite simple.

If you get Medicare when you're living here like you've already said I would just arrive at around 30 weeks like you suggested and go public. That way no costs at all. I don't know Melbourne hospitals but can't imagine you'd have too much difficulty being booked in somewhere if you're not too fussy where you go, eg. regular delivery suite not a birth centre type place which is normally very full.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Mommy View Post
    Very helpful info. (Also I learned a few acronyms on the way)

t

I'll also be discussing these factors with my OB here overseas who has work experience in Oz. My next appointment with her is at 12 weeks, so hopefully by that time will have all the options sorted out to have a meaningful discussion.

What I still don't know is that if any OB in Melbourne will be able to book me in advance from overseas, and if they would be able to refer me to an appropriate hospital, considering I have no address in Oz yet. I guess it would be on a case to case basis, and would need to find out. Any recommendations for OBs (female) in Melbourne who I can call up to check?

I see no problem in getting an OB booked in from overseas as long as you are paying their fees privately. I wouldn't wait for your 12 week appointment as you may not get the OB of your choice if you wait that long. They usually have their 1st appointment here before that. Check the hospital if your choose for the obstetricians who work there, pick one and give them a call. Alternatively, find one of those women only OB clinics and ask at what hospitals they work and go from there. You could use your friends' address and update it once you move here.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I know it's too late etc etc but I keep scratching my head with this one.

If you want to be an Australian citizen why do you work overseas in a foreign capacity (ie not Australian resident for tax purposes)? Why didn't you use your permanent residency and stay in OZ at least until you have another kid? Or at the least look into these issues before falling pregnant?

Do you plan on living in Australia if your bub gets citizenship?

I know there's probably heaps more to this story that I am unaware of so apologies.

To keep focused on the original question if I were you I would think long and hard about citizenship and whether it is truly wanted/needed. Unless you are rich you could be placing yourself under financial stress to have a baby in Australia. If your current location is unsafe I would understand why you would put yourself in debt, but I am assuming because you have Australian permanent residency and choose to live offshore, your current location isn't that bad.

Sorry if this post offends, it isn't my intention. Just trying to give an honest opinion based on what I would do due to the $$$$$$$$$ involved.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

J37  (03-08-2014),NurseAnni  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark : No your post is certainly not offensive, in fact the discussion may be a useful source of information for many out there who may be in a similar situation to mine.

Let me attempt to elaborate once more.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the reason why we still haven't moved back to Oz is due to my husband's work commitments, and once they are respected, we will move to Oz. In fact PR accommodates this condition and it gives you a range of years before you can move for good. You can have a PR and still work overseas simply because it makes financial sense. In our case the cost of breaching contractual obligations is far greater than moving early to Oz, and we want to use the leverage given to us in the visa by Oz government.

Regarding, why not wait until you plan to move to have a bub, I am already in my 30s, and have waited for so many years to have a child. Now I wanted to conceive while I can normally, instead of running into birth complications as I get older. Besides I would not prefer to plan my family around visas, and would rather let the nature run its course, and see what best can be made of the situation, once it takes place (which I am doing right now). Also realistically, no natural pregnancy can be synchronized accurately right down to the last month with migration plans, and we don't want to combine pregnancy and stress due to migration and settlement either.

Eventually we do plan to settle in Oz whether or not bub gets citizenship by birth. The only difference is we want to stay together as a family as much as possible. If pub gets Oz citizenship by birth then the whole family moves together to Oz permanently, no questions asked. If the bub is not Oz citizen by birth then we would need to lodge 101 visa offshore to bring it to Oz, which has many months waiting period, and lots of "ifs and buts" hence family gets split, for example what if the child has some medical condition such that 101 is rejected altogether? How can a family leave their toddler behind while they move to Oz? On the other hand, If I wait till I move to Oz to conceive, I have no guarantee if I can conceive normally then either. Also, how good of a care would I be to provide for the new born when I am pre-occupied with the stress of moving and migration is another question.

So to sum it up, it's not simple condition by any means, and many families moving from overseas struggle with similar issues all the time.
    Last edited by AJ Mommy; 04-08-2014 at 05:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there is ever a perfect time for anyone... We all just do the best we can.
    Good luck with everything :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would call a public hospital around the area you wish to move into, and have a chat regarding obs and care plans. Chat yo the midwives.
    If, once you come to Oz, you have Medicare status, going through a public hospital gives you "free" care. Bub will be in a public hospital, so if NICU required it should be at the same hospital and under Medicare as well.
    If you wish to go through public hospital under a private ob, you need to know which hospital you want to attend so you can book in with a visiting ob.
    This is private care in a public hospital. Hospital is covered under Medicare, ob is paid by you.
    If you called and booked an ob and had a chat with them, they can book you in their books.
    An ob will only take a certain number of clients per due date month through private. So best to pick one, call and book in. You would need to pay normal ob fees, but you would have a guaranteed doctor for your care.