+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There was another thread about this a year or so ago... I will see if I can find it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is from Eastern Health in Melbourne, which is a public hospital. It outlines fees for people intelligible for Medicare. I assume it is different for each hospital, but this could be a good starting guide.

https://www.easternhealth.org.au/app...20bookings.pdf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

AJ Mommy  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very helpful info. (Also I learned a few acronyms on the way)

I guess here are some key findings for me so far :

- I've got some further information on what costs to expect OOP (20K- 30K range) Well, even if I do decide to go Medicare, it seems in my case the overall cost in a year's time will be about the same. Considering 2K-3K monthly spending, and add to it any taxes if I start working, and also distance away from hubby, flights in and out. I guess in the end it would all turn out the same cost wise, no matter in which way you look at it! (OOP, PH, Medicare)

- I'll be calling a few hospitals to see what's their cut off date for a smooth hand over from overseas. I gather all hospitals have different policies for labor handling, so it's better to have a few checked out in advance just to be sure. I would definitely check out RWH, FPH, Mercey's, Monash, Eastern Health. Any other suggestions for me to check out for being picked at 30 weeks?

- I need to factor in NICU in my budget

I'll also be discussing these factors with my OB here overseas who has work experience in Oz. My next appointment with her is at 12 weeks, so hopefully by that time will have all the options sorted out to have a meaningful discussion.

What I still don't know is that if any OB in Melbourne will be able to book me in advance from overseas, and if they would be able to refer me to an appropriate hospital, considering I have no address in Oz yet. I guess it would be on a case to case basis, and would need to find out. Any recommendations for OBs (female) in Melbourne who I can call up to check?
    Last edited by AJ Mommy; 02-08-2014 at 00:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to weigh in on NICU costs, DD's 102 days costs nearly $250,000 (all covered between medicare and PHI) so $2,000 per day for NICU/SCN care would be the minimum I would use as a budgeting factor.

(Hope very much it is only a budget factor and nothing else!!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

AJ Mommy  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @GM01 : Is baby covered in PHI of parents on birth, by default, for NICU? I thought medicare would be fine (and cover it) if baby is Oz citizen, but usually new born needs to have their own PHI and have to be added formally in the cover?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm confused. Are you covered for pregnancy and birth in your current location? If so why not birth where you are? Do you intend to return to live in Australia anytime soon? If so why didn't you want a bit for trying for bub? If not, why so keen on the citizenship?
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-08-2014 at 06:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll need a back up plan for payment if things go wrong, for baby in nicu as people have mentioned, or yourself as well. I was covered by PHI but got to see lots of the bills, well over $100,000.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

AJ Mommy  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark : I've explained in detail in my previous posts. But in short to avoid the other option of going for child 101 visa.
    @bezzy. Thanks for the vital bit of info. So basically if it get's out of control, even PHI doesn't come to the rescue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Mommy View Post
    @VicPark : I've explained in detail in my previous posts. But in short to avoid the other option of going for child 101 visa.
    @bezzy. Thanks for the vital bit of info. So basically if it get's out of control, even PHI doesn't come to the rescue!
    Sorry I didn't explain myself well, our PHI did pay all expenses for us but I just know how much they were, so I always worry for people who are paying the fees themselves, you can budget for a 'normal' birth or even one that ends in a c/s, but if things go really wrong (and I had a perfectly normal pregnancy, low risk etc) what would you do if you were presented with a bill like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, if bub is a citizen at birth, they could be eligible for Medicare and you would not need to worry about NICU costs??