+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Will your baby be an Australian citizen anyway? I thought (and I could be wrong) that one parent needed to be an Aust citizen, not just a permanent resident. Apologies if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since we had to deal with any of this.

And without medicare you'll be paying a large sum of money regardless of if you are public or private. I can't remember how much it cost my SIL to stay one night, but it was super expensive. Lucky for them all was low risk so no NICU charges etc. But it cost them thousands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I am not sure birth = citizenship in Aus. I would be surprised if it did.

The baby would get PR status like you guys though I imagine fairly easily and then you can convert to citizenship when you can. It was two years PR for me but changes all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD1 was born we were on a temporary visa so she took on the same visa status as us. We got PR about six months later and she became a permanent resident too.
    DD2 was born two years later and automatically became a citizen.
    Two months after she was born DD1, DF and I officially became citizens.
    I'm not sure if PR parents = citizenship for the baby or if DD2 got it because we had already sat the test and had our application approved (we were just waiting for a date for the ceremony).

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very complex situation!

Will you be eligible to Medicare just by moving to Melbourne at 30 weeks pregnant?

When would your husband come? Is your husband moving to Melbourne once you have the baby? I'm just thinking on the unlikely situation that there are complications and you can't fly with the baby to be with your husband after birth. If not, do you have any support network in Melbourne?

Have you checked if you can upgrade your health insurance at the country you are leaving to be able to give birth there?

If you have Medicare at the time, you will probably have to see your GP for shared care and get a referral to the hospital in the catchment area you will be leaving. If you want to have your own obstetrician I don't see why you can't contact them now and pay the administration fees so that he can see you from 30 weeks onwards. The ob can also make referral to a public/ private hospital now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for the citizenship of your baby, as far as I know children of PR parents are automatically Australian citizens. I don't know if the rule is different for PR patents who live overseas though

Edited: Sorry, just read your post again and saw that there is a process to go through for your baby's citizenship. I'd honestly prefer to go through that than to be away from my husband in the final weeks of pregnancy (not only if something goes wrong, but also to enjoy it together), and also not having the right supports after birth (again, in case something doesn't go according to plan, and having to navigate the system in a very unusual situation with a newborn to look after)
    Last edited by Starfish30; 01-08-2014 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One parent must be PR for the child to automatically be a citizen. My sons our Australian citizens. If your child is born overseas then they can be included on your citizenship application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lot's of great suggestions, and information. Somebody mentioned NICU, which I hadn't even considered while budgeting!

Ok so regarding the child Oz citizenship rules here is the link on the government website for details.

To summarize

If parents have PR + are present in Australia at time of birth = Child Oz citizen by birth
    If parents have PR + child born overseas = Child not Oz citizen, and needs 101 visa to come to Oz, and then becomes permanent resident like parents

Getting through the 101 visa is lengthy process, and if due to some reason is rejected, results in family being split up, because child can never come to Oz then to live with parents permanently. Temporary visa is different form permanent resident visa, and has different rules for parents and kids.

But coming back to my situation. My country doesn't have reciprocal agreement with Oz, and the private insurance for pregnancy now wouldn't insure me without a 12 month waiting period. Eventually you end up paying through the nose in private anyway if you don't conceive within 2 years after insuring (Done the numbers already) Medicare eligibility is not valid until I move and become a resident for tax purposes meaning I leave my current country and start living in Oz (Australian taxation office rule, details can be found on ATO website) . That might be an eventual option anyhow, meaning move to Australia alone (much earlier, around 20 weeks) and start living here, pay taxes etc, and use Medicare. But then I would need to move away from my husband for a very long time.

Will I be eligible to Medicare at week 30, the answer is "yes" and "no". Yes if I make Oz my permanent abode afterwards. "No" if my intent is just to come in as a visitor, deliver the baby and fly back . My hubby and I would eventually move to Melbourne in a few years time. Currently we can't due to my hubby's work commitments, but once those are finished we will settle in Melbourne permanently. For now, the idea is that he would fly in a few weeks before delivery, and stay a few weeks afterwards. We have distant friends in Melbourne, but not sure how much helpful they would be in forming a support network during times of need.

The other option is to bite the bullet, and pay all the expenses. I am still curious about the costs, just not sure what range I am looking at. Most have mentioned high costs, but is it possible to get a break down or punch list? Some public hospitals (both public and private) have posted exact costs on their websites as well , but those are very generic numbers. Is there anyone who spent completely out of pocket and could give me some numbers how much it cost them, and what did it include?
    Last edited by AJ Mommy; 01-08-2014 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bill at a private hospital in April was just over $10000. The obs fees were another $3000. I had insurance to cover the hospital costs. The anethetist was a further $1200 again paid for by my insurance. Pediatric doctor was around $300. The other thing to be wary of is if your child needs NICU as that could cost thousands more again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You might be best contacting a hospital directly as your situation isn't common and you may struggle to find someone on here with recent costs for you.

Here's a guide
    http://exwwwsvh.stvincents.com.au/in...515&Itemid=574
    However it would vary greatly across hospitals. I would think birth suite or theatre costs would take the cost into the tens of thousands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (01-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The full cost of my C section, 6 days hospitalization was 14k. OB was another 7k for duration of pregnancy, also costs for blood tests, anesthesiologist, second Dr for C section surgery, Medications etc, another 2k. Almost all this was covered my Medicare or PH. If you had to pay all OOP it would be approx 23-25k. NICU costs would be on top of this if needed, and are between 1-2k per day depending on hospital. If you could make yourself eligible for Medicare, it might be worth it.