+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    One of the articles linked in that one about Indian surrogacy does show the flip side of it where infertile couples get a miracle baby and the surrogate receives the equivalent of 7 years of her husband's salary and half of the cost of buying a house. If they do it a couple of times, they're set up nicely for life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This story is just getting more bizarre!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Fingers crossed law enforcement steps in. Sounds to me like Gammy being left with his surrogate is a blessing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    One of the articles linked in that one about Indian surrogacy does show the flip side of it where infertile couples get a miracle baby and the surrogate receives the equivalent of 7 years of her husband's salary and half of the cost of buying a house. If they do it a couple of times, they're set up nicely for life.
    Set up for life, yes, but I worry that young women are being pressured by family to be surrogates. And whether the agency rips them off. I don't agree with paying women in developing countries to do this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

4underfour  (05-08-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Set up for life, yes, but I worry that young women are being pressured by family to be surrogates. And whether the agency rips them off. I don't agree with paying women in developing countries to do this.
    I have these concerns too, unfortunately there is a shortage of surrogates in Australia and couples are desperate enough sometimes after decades of fertility treatment to go overseas. Some people in Australia think it's illegal still or they simply don't know where to start. It can be very hard for intended parents seeking a surrogate to even find one, laws exist prohibiting even advertising for one in some (all states?). In WA and VIC you have to of known each other for 5 years before you can enter into a surrogacy arrangement. Some of these laws need reviewing in my opinion and some more relaxed states need more regulation, the NT for example have no regulations at all. I strongly believe we need the currant backgroud checks we have in place in some states, the psychological evaluations help to protect everyone involved as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (07-08-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I just saw on the news that the couples lawyer will be making a statement tonight and that the father has served time in jail for child s%x offences.
    That would explain why they couldn't do surrogacy in Australia

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think this is as black and white as the media makes it out to be and the whole situation makes me sick. However according to the couple and what was earlier reported when they found out that one of the twins had downs they asked to terminate and the surrogate did not because it was against her religion- even if as a surrogate I don't believe this was her choice but the terms of the contract are not clear as the agency sounds dodgy. Also the man having an offence 20 years ago would probably not be as relevant now if he is reformed and seen fit to parent but again we don't know the details. I think the surrogate is milking all for all it's worth and using her baby like this also makes me sick. The fact that surrogacy is so backwards in Australia is what drives people to go overseas and other countries to do this. If we don't want these types of situations then the government needs to give better access to couples that can't have kids naturally and the media questioning surrogacy like this is very unfair to those who need it- I have friends in this situation and my heart breaks for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A little off topic but does anyone know if you can have a baby in Aust via a surrogate if you are a convicted child predictor? Can you do IVF in Aust if you are?
    This story is on my mind so much. IMO little Gammy seems to be better off in Thailand with his real (although not biological) mum. She may be poor but she appears to love him very much and Gammy seems to be very connected to the other young boy I have seen in the footage (? Brother I think).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (05-08-2014),VicPark  (05-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF baby with Downs Syndrome left behind with Thai surrogate

^but she's also had no qualms on publicly using her child for profit in the media. I understand she was not paid the amount she was promised by the agency, but from memory the medical Bills didn't amount to the overwhelming amount raised or the money she must be making from all these interviews. If she is really as honest as she's been making out to be and the money was just for medical bills she should not need it all. I don't trust the reporting on this at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    A little off topic but does anyone know if you can have a baby in Aust via a surrogate if you are a convicted child predictor? Can you do IVF in Aust if you are?
    This story is on my mind so much. IMO little Gammy seems to be better off in Thailand with his real (although not biological) mum. She may be poor but she appears to love him very much and Gammy seems to be very connected to the other young boy I have seen in the footage (? Brother I think).
    You need a police check to do IVF.