+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if anyone has linked this article yet? It sounds like it wasn't just this case that has caused Thailand to re-examine surrogacy regulations.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1227012043708

The Australian embassy in Bangkok deals daily with Australian couples who travel to Thailand to find a surrogate to carry their baby.

In recent years, the embassy has had to open a new room to cope with demands from new parents, including many same-sex couples, who have no idea how to care for the babies they’ve ordered. These parents go to the embassy for the documents they need to bring their children back to Australia, and stay to beg for help from staff on how to nurse, burp and change their infants.

This is not the first time one of those couples has tried to order a woman to have an abortion; very often, they succeed.

Nor is it the first time that embassy staff have had to deal with a couple refusing to take their own child home.

In one earlier, unreported case, a surrogate went to embassy complaining that an Australian couple was trying to back out of their contract because she was carrying twins, and they wanted only one child. The embassy stepped in, and the couple ended up taking both children.

Another couple tried to make a surrogate have an abortion because she was carrying a boy and they wanted a girl (according to embassy workers, when it comes to surrogacy, Australian couples overwhelmingly prefer girls). She refused, and the Australian couple reluctantly took their son.

In another case, almost as shocking as Gammy’s, the embassy has had to persuade an Australian couple to pay the medical bills of their own, sick child, after they initially refused to pay on the grounds that she was one of a set of twins, and they only wanted one child.

In this case, the couple told the embassy they had paid for one baby and only wanted one baby. The babies were born at 28 weeks and, when one of them needed both intensive care, and follow-up treatment, the Australian couple actually had the gall to ask the embassy for help in getting out of their contract, which stipulated that they would help with medical costs, on the grounds that the surrogate had refused to have an abortion and should therefore bear the cost of complications from a multiple birth.
    Last edited by sky1; 04-08-2014 at 21:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    I don't know if anyone has linked this article yet? It sounds like it wasn't just this case that has caused Thailand to re-examine surrogacy regulations.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...44bddad12c9140
    Gee looks like there are plenty of @rseholes around

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (04-08-2014),Pearlygirl  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...44bddad12c9140
    I don't even have words. Scum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bet those other @rseholes are sh/tting themselves now that they will be sprung too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (04-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How awful! Although nothing surprises me after I saw a thread about someone wanting to abort their baby that was conceived through IVF at 20 weeks as the baby had a minor issue with it's foot and would need to wear a cast.

It seems lots of people are searching for "perfection", when I think every baby is a perfect miracle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw on the news that the couples lawyer will be making a statement tonight and that the father has served time in jail for child s%x offences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yuk. Now I'm totally convinced this overseas commercial surrogacy thing is f**ked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I just saw on the news that the couples lawyer will be making a statement tonight and that the father has served time in jail for child s%x offences.
    Oh no 😔. There must be no regulations at all no criminal history checks etc. How scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    http://www.9news.com.au/World/2014/0...ex-convictions

Yeap, hopefully DOCS will be onto this now.