Closed Thread
Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm wondering how many more predictions Ron made now. Perhaps we need to start a tally in here everytime we come across one haha

ETA and your DH is a clever man @Goblin Queen

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Love this thread!

Can anyone tell me how I can read the story that JK just released of them all as grown adults?? Couldn't find a link anywhere... Or do I need to be a member or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    ...I'm guessing it was selected for that time because a) no one would notice Harry was missing for quite some time, b) he would be weakened by the tournament, c) Voldemort needed the time to grow stronger himself and probably work out what needed to be done to ensure he came back to life fully.

I must say it's not something I've really ever questioned. If the port key was say a book and Harry just disappeared in front of other people they would be onto it right away. But with the cup being the portkey it bought time for Voldemort to do what he needed without having to worry about someone spoiling his party. Plus with Mad eye moody/Barty Crouch jr befriending Harry, they would've been getting some insider info on him surely - strengths and weaknesses etc
    Hmm some good points but I maintain that all they needed to do was plant Moody/Crouch to keep an eye on Harry, wait until Voldemort was ready then have Moody summon Harry to his office (as teachers often did) then send him off to the graveyard with a much simpler portkey ("Hey Harry, could you pass me that book?"). Harry could disappear for a while without everyone noticing; people definitely noticed pretty quickly when they vanished at the end of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    If it helps, @deku, I read all this out to DH and he pointed out that Dumbledore always made the cup a portkey to take them back to the winner's area so Crouch enchanted it to take them to the graveyard instead. When that had been done, Dumbledore's original spell kicked in.

That actually makes total sense. I knew I married this man for a reason!
    Also a pretty good suggestion! But I still think it was too convoluted to be a good plan. UNLESS portkeys are actually incredibly rare or hard to make, so this was the only way that Harry could have been portkeyed out of there. But I don't think that's true given they were just scattered around for the Quidditch Cup. …Unless the cup had a much higher budget than Voldemort

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Hmm some good points but I maintain that all they needed to do was plant Moody/Crouch to keep an eye on Harry, wait until Voldemort was ready then have Moody summon Harry to his office (as teachers often did) then send him off to the graveyard with a much simpler portkey ("Hey Harry, could you pass me that book?"). Harry could disappear for a while without everyone noticing; people definitely noticed pretty quickly when they vanished at the end of the tournament.

Also a pretty good suggestion! But I still think it was too convoluted to be a good plan. UNLESS portkeys are actually incredibly rare or hard to make, so this was the only way that Harry could have been portkeyed out of there. But I don't think that's true given they were just scattered around for the Quidditch Cup. …Unless the cup had a much higher budget than Voldemort
    Don't forget that portkeys are monitored by the Ministry of Magic so it would be very hard to make one at Hogwarts without it being noticed. Altering one would be less obvious and easier to conceal, particularly one already enchanted by Dumbledore!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Love this thread!

Can anyone tell me how I can read the story that JK just released of them all as grown adults?? Couldn't find a link anywhere... Or do I need to be a member or something?
    It's at Pottermore.com, you do have to be a member but membership is free.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

kw123  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget that portkeys are monitored by the Ministry of Magic so it would be very hard to make one at Hogwarts without it being noticed. Altering one would be less obvious and easier to conceal, particularly one already enchanted by Dumbledore!
    But could the Ministry detect them or was it just an offence to make an unauthorised one?

Regardless, thank you so much for the discussion - like I said this bothered me for so long, I finally have somewhere to talk about it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe JK Rowling needs to release a copy of the Wizarding laws as set by the Ministry of Magic. Then we would have the answer to our question! Mind you there would need to be a few versions to account for who was the Minister of Magic at the time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (02-08-2014),deku  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    But could the Ministry detect them or was it just an offence to make an unauthorised one?

Regardless, thank you so much for the discussion - like I said this bothered me for so long, I finally have somewhere to talk about it!
    I'm fairly certain they could because that's why they flew from the Dursleys in book 7 because the Ministry was monitoring all other methods of travel (Floo powder, portkeys, apparition).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fairly certain they could because that's why they flew from the Dursleys in book 7 because the Ministry was monitoring all other methods of travel (Floo powder, portkeys, apparition).
    But the ministry doesn't normally monitor those other methods of transport either, so maybe they're all something they can look for if they want to but they don't get automatic notifications about. So you could do it undetected if they had no reason to be watching you?
    …Why am I even arguing about this, lol I'm becoming one of those crazy people on the internet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default How is there not a Harry Potter discussion thread???

But the ministry doesn't normally monitor those other methods of transport either, so maybe they're all something they can look for if they want to but they don't get automatic notifications about. So you could do it undetected if they had no reason to be watching you?
    …Why am I even arguing about this, lol I'm becoming one of those crazy people on the internet
    Accompanying theory, nobody can apparate in or out of Hogwarts. You'll notice that nobody can apparate on the grounds at all (they had to lift the enchantment within the Great Hall when the students were learning apparition) so I doubt you would be able to create a portkey to successfully take someone out of Hogwarts unless you were the headmaster. Dumbledore had already created a portkey to take them from the centre of the maze to the winner's circle so that device would work if you altered it to take him elsewhere but you couldn't successfully enchant just any old object if you felt like it!

Haha, there's nothing wrong with a good Harry Potter debate!