+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bali wedding?

Hi,

So I'm starting to plan a wedding (yay!) and df suggested looking into a Bali wedding.

Does anyone have any pros/cons or suggestions about having a wedding in bali? I'm looking at having maybe 20 people come over for it and wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start. Any help would be great

Tia!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Check the travel warnings and make sure your travel is fully insured! (My honeymoon to Bali was canned due to the second Bali bombings).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

twolittlemunchkins  (01-08-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    dunno ... but my sister is organising her wedding here and its a bit full on. Now wishes she had decided on a Bali wedding

Have fun planning it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had a couple of friends get married there and the weddings have been beautiful. I think they first decided on where they wanted the wedding (one had it at Ayana resort in Jimbaran Bay and the other in Uluwatu). Most resorts have there own wedding planner who can help you heaps and get you in touch with photographers, hair/makeup, flowers, celebrants etc. They both organised dresses, suits etc here and took them over. They wanted small numbers aswell but I think most people they invited went! Any excuse for a holiday (we are in Perth so only 3 hours from here). Anyway good luck. I'm sure your wedding will be lovely whatever you decide, how exciting!

ME 28 Mild endo, Mild pcos : DH 33
    TTC # 1 : 3 years : OI x 3 BFN 2012 : IUI x 3 BFN 2012 IVF # 1 BFP! 2013 DS 29/9/13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to do a vow renewal for our 10 year wedding anniversary in Bali, the weddings I've seen there are beautiful & I imagine you'd get twice the wedding for half the cost! The only problem (that I've heard, someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you are not married by a celebrant who is authorised to conduct marriages by Australian law, your marriage will not be valid in Australia, so you would either have to be married in a registry office at home as well, or fly an Australian celebrant over to conduct your wedding. I'm not entirely sure what the rules are though!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I'll defiantly check travel warnings and have insurance. My sister had her wedding 2 years ago and that was stressful. I want to minimise stress as much as possible (but hers was a big inner city wedding, I want just a handful of people with a fun relaxed atmosphere so fingers crossed it'll be less stressful)

Does any one have more suggestions of resorts to have a look at? I've never been to Bali so don't know where the good spots are. We are looking at keeping it fairly cheap. Around $7k would be perfect.

Most of our families would need to come over from interstate for the wedding anyways so having it in Bali won't make much difference.

Thanks for the tip about the celebrant. I'll look into that for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Padma Resort is beautiful, it is in Legian. Close to 'inner city', close to shops, restaurants and markets but far enough away from the heart of Kuta to be more 'resort' rather than 'hotel'. Haven't been to a wedding there but have stayed there and saw a couple of weddings in the week we were there. It has it's own day spa and hair salon. It's beach front too which is a bonus. GL!

ME 28 Mild endo, Mild pcos : DH 33
    TTC # 1 : 3 years : OI x 3 BFN 2012 : IUI x 3 BFN 2012 IVF # 1 BFP! 2013 DS 29/9/13

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm planning the wedding for about 20 months time(April 2016). Would the weather be ok in Bali then. I don't want to go in a rainy season but also not when it's super hot.

Would it be wise to head over there sometime maybe in the next 6ish months to check out a few places in person or would just doing it all online/by phone be do-able?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As mentioned by a pp, you won't be recognised as legally married in Australia without about a half day of paperwork at the Australian Embassy after the ceremony. I'm not sure if you then have to change your name (if you wish to do so) via deed poll or if its the same as with a marriage on Australian soil. Be careful not to book anything in your future married name either, as your travel documents will still show your maiden name, so you may have issues booking in if you do that!

The other thing to take into consideration is that you will need to state your religion on the forms for your ceremony - if you have a religion this is obviously no issue. Friends of ours didn't have an official religion they followed, so they listed Christian, I believe. I don't think you can have a 'civil' ceremony in Bali. (I could be wrong, but from the few friends I know who have been married there, they weren't able to)

The biggest thing for me, with a destination wedding, is that if you have elderly relatives you'd like to be there, they may not be able to travel.

As previously mentioned, the Padma is gorgeous. Another lovely spot is Nusa Dua, there are a lot of weddings held there.

Good Luck planning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    We got married there 6 months ago. Only took. 1/2 hr at embassy for paperwork. Will post more when I am at my computer