+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Social workers and counsellors.

Two areas I'm interested training in.
    What does your job involve on a day to day basis, what is the pay roughly (only if you feel comfortable answering) and what qualifications do you have? Is there a demand for work in the area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm not working at the moment as I'm staying home with my kids, but I have a bachelor of social science (counselling). My last job was at a uni and I was working as a student counsellor.

There were lots of areas I could work in with my degree. I also worked in the foster care sector supporting foster carers and the children in their care, and in residential care working with children who were not able to placed in foster homes due to numerous reasons.

It depends where you live as to how in demand you would be. I spent the first few years out of uni commuting as I couldn't get work close to home as jobs in my sector don't often come up into area.

Pay will vary on where you work, whether it's a not for profit or government run organisation. I was earning more working 20 hours a week at the university then I did working full time for a community run organisation.

Feel free to ask any questions

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been working in social work. Child protection specifically. It's very tough but rewarding. The support of the team gets you through.

I was working with kids in care, either kinship, residential or foster care. Doing assessments, making sure the carers are supported, arranging contact with family, building a relationship with the kids, attending meetings with schools, health, agencies, attending court, visiting some in young offenders. Lots of recordings and phone calls. Lots of home visits.

The pay is around $50k entry rate newly qualified in social work or something closely related such as youth work, going up to $85k as an experienced social worker. Team leaders on around $90k.

Also, big demand for workers in this area!!!
    Last edited by Bond Girl; 31-07-2014 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    I'm not working at the moment as I'm staying home with my kids, but I have a bachelor of social science (counselling). My last job was at a uni and I was working as a student counsellor.

There were lots of areas I could work in with my degree. I also worked in the foster care sector supporting foster carers and the children in their care, and in residential care working with children who were not able to placed in foster homes due to numerous reasons.

It depends where you live as to how in demand you would be. I spent the first few years out of uni commuting as I couldn't get work close to home as jobs in my sector don't often come up into area.

Pay will vary on where you work, whether it's a not for profit or government run organisation. I was earning more working 20 hours a week at the university then I did working full time for a community run organisation.

Feel free to ask any questions
    I have been thinking of swapping over to a similar degree. Who did you do your degree through?

I am in 3rd year of a Psychology degree and with everything going on my marks aren't going to get me into honours ( I was going fine until last semester) so I am looking for alternatives

OP I wish I did Social Work now. Good luck!!
    TIA