+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PPL Question.

Hi all, hoping someone may be able to assist me here. I've read all the rules in PPL, re read them and re read them again. I've asked centrelink my question and gotten a few different answers. Here's my situation. I'm pregnant with no 2 due in November. Since October last year I've been teaching casually. I've worked at least one day every month except January and July (provided I don't get called in tomorrow). I'm booked for a day in August making the gap between the last day I worked and the next day I'm booked for less than 8 weeks. My mat leave can start on September 10 and that alone will make up 315 work hours before bub is born. My one problem is this. I worked up until the end of the last term of 2013. Then I didn't work in January and I had a 10 week gap between days. 5 of those weeks were holidays and school was shut so as far as "work weeks" go my "gap" was only about 5 weeks. What do you think my chances are of getting ppl? It was suggested by one advisor at centrelink that I write a letter explaining that the schools are shut as I only missed the cut off by two weeks and if not for the holidays I would've been fine but then another advisor just flat out said "no you don't qualify". The one that told me the flat out no was just reading from the website as I have done many times. If anyone has had experiences similar any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    A few girls in my DIG were teachers and they were told that it's only the work time that counts. Personally I would get the letter but put the claim in to have the PPL paid through your work. Alternatively, could you work a day in October? That'll be the 10 months then, also isn't it 330 hours or am I remembering incorrectly?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

KellyMac  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's the longest you have gone on unpaid leave? Is it 5 weeks?
    A 'working day' is a day you have worked for at least one hour. You can count periods of paid leave towards the work test but periods of unpaid leave do not count.
    You also need to work 330hrs total

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    You said it better than me!, @maternidade When I was saying it's only the work time, I meant that the 5 weeks of school holidays doesn't count as "time off" because the school was closed. So on the 5 weeks you had off once the school was opened counts.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PPL Question.

I've been on unpaid leave since June 2013( when previous PPL ended) I've worked casually since October 13. I worked at least a day in October, Nov, Dec, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June and have a date booked in August which is 7 weeks from the day I worked in June and 4 weeks before my full time paid mat leave starts again. I will definitely meet the work hours. The only reason I won't meet the "working 10 out of 13 months" rule is because of the 10 week gap between my December and Feb work days. Last day in Dec was the 19th (last week of school year) and Feb work day was 28th (4th week of first term) So 5 of those 10 weeks were school holidays so I kind of see it as "forced" leave as I can't go to work if school is shut. So it's those 10 weeks that are a problem, 5 of which I didn't actually have a work place to go to. Someone mentioned something to me about alternative work in that time (5 weeks!) but there's all sorts if rules and special permissions set out by the NSW DET surrounding second jobs. I'm just hoping that they see it they way I do and don't discriminate because of my profession...
    Last edited by KellyMac; 31-07-2014 at 01:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry of the 10 weeks did you get paid at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No as I'm casual and not entitled to holiday pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If not then I don't think you're eligible. You can always still apply but I don't think you should get your hopes up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    You said it better than me!, @maternidade When I was saying it's only the work time, I meant that the 5 weeks of school holidays doesn't count as "time off" because the school was closed. So on the 5 weeks you had off once the school was opened counts.
    This is what I'm counting on! If this is the case I will qualify no worries because it's only those 5 holiday weeks that are stopping me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PPL Question.

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    If not then I don't think you're eligible. You can always still apply but I don't think you should get your hopes up
    I assumed from the start I wouldn't qualify because I hadn't been back to work but then when I started as a casual I thought maybe. The First Lady at centrelink said I might because it's only two weeks over the allowed gap And it's due to school being closed but nobody can really give a straight answer. Hopefully they will see that it's because of the nature of my job with school being closed. I'm also at a disadvantage when compared to part timers and full timers who get paid in the holidays so it's not seen by centrelink as time off it gets recorded as full or part time paid leave.