+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Have you altered or replaced your engagement/wedding rings after you were married?

I have an engagement ring that my dh and I designed and took to a jeweller to make - long story short but it was nothing like what either of us expected. We ended up taking it to another jeweller some months later as it still hadn't grown on us, and he did a great job of fixing it so that it resembled what we had first hoped for. It was still not quite right, be he did a great job of amending it without needing to remake it, saving us loads.

We have now been married 4.5 years and I've never been totally happy with the set. I've often said I want to modify/remake/buy new ones but it seems funny as the current ones will be in years worth of photos. Plus 2 kids and buying a house later, it always seemed like it wasn't worth the money. My dh has agreed that we could change them for our 5th wedding anniversary, but I'm not sure what to do. I think altering may well cost more than buying again once you add manufacturing costs to materials. But I wouldn't know what to do with the old ones and might feel a little sad.

Have you altered the look or style of your rings after the fact? What did you do with the old ones or could you use the metal? Any tips or ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhhh yes. I had a lovely engagement ring with 5 little diamonds, which was set at a weird angle & a plain bog standard wedding band. I always wanted to incorporate the kids birthstones onto my eternity ring & it wasn't going to work with my engagement ring.

My DH had been given a 24 carot gold necklace for his 21 birthday & after 14 years he couldn't wear it as it was too soft so we melted it down in with my rings to make one big one.

I have my favourite stone, emerald as the centre stone, the kids & dH birthstones down the side & four of my diamonds set in the front & back. We used the rest of the gold to make rings for the kids & my DS has my other diamond in his ring.

I love it & it means so much to me. Some people have actually screwed there nose up at it. Not that I am worried.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I think if you're not totally happy then get them redone. Even though the current ones will be in a lot of photos, the same materials will be used. For me, the diamond is more sentimental than the ring itself but that could be because the diamond my DH chose was cut on the day of our first date!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My wedding ring used to be my parents' wedding rings. My parents are still together but they don't fit any more so I had them since I was a teenager. It's platinum and I jus took them to a jeweller and asked if he could make a new ring. It only cost me $200 which was a bargain considering how expensive platinum is!

It might depend on the metal but you should be able to do the same using the stone in your current engagement ring.

I took mine to a small independent jewellery store with a master jeweller. Not the chain stores in shopping centres.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peonies For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing as I have been thinking about doing this. Will be married 10 years next year so may revamp it. I actually want to combine the wedding and engagement ring to one ring only. Wouldn't mind some extra diamonds

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive had 2 different sets of engagemeng and wedding rings and about to get a third. We have been married 3 years in November lol.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (31-07-2014)