+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP - How to get a toddler to stay in their bed?

Our gorgeous 20 month old has been constantly climbing out of the cot so for safety reasons we had no choice but to move our little one into a toddler bed. Personally I think its too early but we felt it was our only option. Since making this move our toddler will not stay in bed when it comes to nap time or bed time. We have kept the same routine but as soon as we go to leave the room we hear little footsteps following and this happens over and over, one night it was 40 different times! What we have found works it sitting in our little ones room until she falls asleep, but this isn't always possible and doesn't always work. I put a gate on her door but then she just plays. We hardly had any dramas with bed time with the cot.
    I would love to hear your suggestions on what worked for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um, not my advise but my sisters advice to me (we are still in a cot am not climbing out thankfully). This worked for her son.

Go with the baby gate and remove all toys etc from the room except toys she would have had in her cot. If possible remove anything she can play with or get into. Essentially make the room into one big cot! Maybe even put blankets on the ground?

When my DS started looking like he was not going to stay in the cot we got him a pillow and made a big deal about how that made him a big boy and more like mummy and daddy cause we have pillows. Only babies don't have pillows and he isn't a baby anymore. Mummy and daddy sleep in the bed and don't get up etc etc. for some reason it worked?!? You can get good pillows for toddlers from Adairs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Cherished  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you use a sleeping bag in the cot? My 17 month DD would be a climber but she sleeps in a Grobag and while she can stand up in it, she can't climb in it. Maybe go back to the cot (especially if you feel your LO wasn't ready for a toddler bed with a sleeping bag?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zalimama For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (30-07-2014),Starfish30  (01-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleeping bags don't work for us sadly. She hates being restricted and doesn't sleep through if she cant get her legs out, she cant even wear all in ones with the feet enclosed or she pulls at them and wakes during the night.

I might look into a pillow too

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was a little bit older when we transitioned to a bed, however he also climbed out constantly.

In the end we put a baby gate on the door, cleared out most of the toys and just let him go for it until he fell asleep. We would find him asleep in all sorts of weird positions on the floor! Then we moved him back into his bed. After a couple of weeks the novelty wore off and he started getting back into bed to go to sleep.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We told our DS that Mummy and Daddy would knock on the door when it was time to get up. We practiced it a few times so he knew what to expect and he hasn't come out once since...still waiting for the day he realises he can actually get out he is 2.5 years now. We made such a big deal about us knocking on the door. He does call out to us when he wakes up but does still stay in bed.

I would just keep taking your little one back to bed, take them by the hang and walk them back, no talking just take them back and put them in bed...sorry I am not much help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    My DS was a little bit older when we transitioned to a bed, however he also climbed out constantly.

In the end we put a baby gate on the door, cleared out most of the toys and just let him go for it until he fell asleep. We would find him asleep in all sorts of weird positions on the floor! Then we moved him back into his bed. After a couple of weeks the novelty wore off and he started getting back into bed to go to sleep.
    My ds is still in a cot and not trying to climb out yet but if I were you I'd give this a go. The less interaction from you the better because they keep carrying on for attention.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for ideas.
    17 months old and had to move to toddler bed with side rail.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you believe that as I was typing the original post she managed to go to sleep on her own and in her bed! She was in there playing and then it went quiet so I checked in on her and there she was, in bed asleep! Hope it wasn't a one off.
    Keep the ideas coming

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherished For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (02-08-2014)