+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Newborn struggling with feeds at night

Hoping for some advice. DS is 5 days old and for the last couple of nights he's been really unsettled for the whole night - it usually starts after the late night feed (anywhere between 9:30-11:30pm) and he's unsettled until morning. I'm exhausted! Basically he feeds well but then has lots of wind, spews and doesn't want to be put down.

It seems to have started when my milk came in and the hospital midwives said it's probably because he's getting too much too quickly so recommended that I express about 20ml before each feed and only feed from one side each feed so the breast drains.

I had a terrible feeding experience with DD and I'm terrified of the same thing happening this time. Does this night time feeding issue settle down? Any advice for getting through it?? I'm hoping my supply settles down soon which hopefully will help.

He sleeps in a bassinet right next to me. No other issues, his weight is fine, latch is fine as far as I can tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My DS was exactly the same. It's so hard. I have some suggestions for you beyond what you're doing: have a read about block feeding (essentially feeding from the same side and switching three hourly) which eliminates some of the issues associated with fore/hindmilk (totally saved my mental health when I began that); feed him so he's in an upright position, and pull off the breast every five or six minutes to burp; keep him upright for twenty minutes after a feed (that one's tricky overnight, I know); or a half-dose of Infacol directly before a feed (my GP and CHN said this was ok). It took me doing all of these things together for DS to have any relief at all. Good luck, and I hope one or all of these might help.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Cue  (30-07-2014),HeavenBlue  (30-07-2014),misskittyfantastico  (30-07-2014),Taiyed  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Harvs. I got a breast pump today as the hand expressing before night feeds was a bit unmanageable. We've also put a heater in our room in case he was getting cold and I'll try the upright feeding position like you suggested - I did this for DD too as she was really refluxy as a baby. We'll persist with the burping to try to prevent the air bubbles/gas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might like to call or email the aba for some advice

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mkj For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    expressing before each feed is not going to help your boobs to settle, and can lead to oversupply.

harvs had some good suggestions. positional feeding, giving baby breaks and upright time after feeds will all help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had this problem with both my babies.

Bubbles is right, expressing will increase rather than settle your supply. You only want to 'knock the top off it' if you're expressing. I only expressed enough to soften my nipple and the surrounding area when I was very engorged.

I would suggest changing positions (I side-lie to feed) and in the very early days I used a shield to slow the ****** of milk just to start (so for about 3 mins after I felt a let down) then removed it for the rest of the feed.

I also block feed to minimise fore/hind milk dramas.

My biggest piece of advice is that bubs will get better at feeding and your milk will settle and these nights will resolve themselves...you just need to get through this absolute newborn phase. Sleep whenever you can throughout the day, have somewhere warm and comfy to sit during the night, have a cup of tea prepped so all you need to do is boil the kettle, get a DVD of a tv series or some movies to watch. It doesn't last forever.

If it DOES last forever and the screaming starts to get worse and there's no sleeping at all for bubs, please take a look at reflux.org.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The expressing is only a small amount (max 20ml) and it's only temporary. The middies discussed the plan with the hospital LC and she agreed that it was the best plan for now. It seems to take some of the pressure out so DS can manage the flow a bit better.

I'll find out a bit more about block feeding but I think I'm essentially doing that when he's going 4hrs between feeds during the day - I only offer one side each feed and express a small amount off the other only of it's really uncomfortable (I haven't needed to the last few feeds). I might need to look at the night feeds though as they're closer together.

I am also very familiar with reflux, and it terrifies me. DD had terrible silent reflux (due to CMPI which was diagnosed at 3mo) and it was an utter nightmare. Any slight hint of it in DS freaks me right out.

I'll see how he goes over the next couple of nights. I'm hoping it settles down a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cue I'm having the exact same issue with 3 day old DS2. I figured it's to do with my milk because it came in nearly straight after birth - I was still feeding DS1 so had milk there already. He's perfect during the day but has lots of wind at night when he's cluster feeding.

He's been sleeping upright during the day so I'm going to try the same tonight.

Subbing for all the lovely advice
    Last edited by Taiyed; 30-07-2014 at 20:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not glad you're going through it too but glad it's not just me! Keep me posted on what works for you. What is he sleeping in during the day that keeps him upright? DS sleeps in a bassinet during the day so is lying flat, it doesn't seem to be a problem during the day at all. Baffling little creatures!

I'll update tomorrow, we're doing all the obvious things tonight - warming up the room, extra burping time etc and we'll see if that makes any difference before I let myself get too worried.