+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thermomix, is it really as good as it sounds?

For a while now I have wanted a thermomix, I've started saving for one and considered a demonstration (haven't had one because I don't want to waist the consultants time until I can afford it). I follow some people that are all about the thermomix on Instagram and Facebook and I enter every competition I see to win one. I've even joined their mailing list. But is it really as good as it sounds. Can I really get rid of other appliances? Is it really worth all that money? Can I really make so many different things with it?
    I've seen one that's similar at Aldi one time, would that have been the same? Or someone said they have a thermochef which is almost the same? Would it be better to get that?

I'm really wanting to hear from people who have one if it's worth it? Are there any cons?

Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't have one but have been to 3 demos (even had one at my house) and decided it's not for me. However, everybody I know who has one raves about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't have one but have been to 3 demos (even had one at my house) and decided it's not for me. However, everybody I know who has one raves about them.
    Yep same here. I'v been demos and have stayed with a friend for a week who has one, and I wasn't overly impressed. It makes a fair amount of things, but imo it doesn't make many of them as good as the traditional methods. If it was a quarter of the price I might consider getting one just as an additional cool little gadget, but imo it's not worth it's price tag and no it doesn't do everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    As above, I've had one for about three or four years? I hate cooking with a passion and I love the Thermomix for that. I love it for making sauces and things that you have to stir continuously because screw standing over a hot stove making sure your white sauce has no lumps!

The Thermomix-like devices on the market are based on the previous version of it because the patents ran out on it. They are very similar and from what I hear are essentially as good (no one I know has had one for longer than a couple of years so it's hard to say if they'll go the distance) but I believe they're missing a couple of the features, most notably the reverse function.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it absolutely is. I was such a skeptic before I went to a demo and for me it has changed me from someone who cooks once a month or so, to someone who'll use it more than 10 times a week on average. Maybe it's not for everyone but it definitely is a massive help and worth the price tag (IMO).

I am presently moving house and happily packed up my entire kitchen except for about 4 plates and cups. Cutlery and the Thermomix. This plus an oven - we can easily still eat home cooked food no trouble at all, I'll probably get rid of most of the stuff I've packed because I really don't use it as often. Ps some things I have found weren't ideal, like mince cooking in the bowl was really fine in texture, however I am following heaps of thermie groups on FB and followed suggestions to steam the mince in the thermie while you cook the sauce and tip in at the last minute - that was one minor problem solved and I'm happy as again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to my first demo last week, I think it does some cool things but for us, it wouldn't get used every day.

I don't bake, I don't eat deserts very often.

We have a lot of bbqs etc or stuff like salmon and veg - what would I use it for then?

I don't make sauces or jams or whatever else it can do.

I never weigh anything when I bake or cook. Haha

It is also really really noisy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yep same here. I'v been demos and have stayed with a friend for a week who has one, and I wasn't overly impressed. It makes a fair amount of things, but imo it doesn't make many of them as good as the traditional methods. If it was a quarter of the price I might consider getting one just as an additional cool little gadget, but imo it's not worth it's price tag and no it doesn't do everything.
    This. Not for me either

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a skeptic for some time. Saw it used a few years ago. .. kept thinking about it. Well I got one last year and is the best thing ever. I absolutely love it.
    I didn't have any other appliances like a mixer or food processor so yeah. .. I don't need that stuff.
    I keep it out on the bench. It gets used pretty much every day. I love how is quick and easy.
    I only find it noisy if I'm grating something like nuts or ice.
    I use it for lots of savoury stuff and baking is easier.
    Eg. .. Love doing rice in it. Making a sauce in it. I do make my own jam. So easy. Our lemon curd. Yum. I love the steamer part. Latest thing is 60 degree eggs!! Yummy.

Not for everyone everyone I suppose. I love cooking and is just improved my cooking plus made it easier for some things. I do not regret it at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and it gets used every day. I love it! I use it mainly to make dinners....soups, sauces (eg. bolognaise,), vegetarian sausage rolls, fried rice, risotto... I make whole meals in it (rice, vegies, meat and a sauce such as a peanut satay etc.)...to make smoothies, to make ice-cream in summer (so easy, literally takes a couple of minutes), to make hot chocolate + froth, home made stock etc. And I find it so easy to whip up some muffins for the kids for school...no measuring spoons/cups required, everything is blended within a couple of minutes and I pour the batter in to the trays straight from the bowl, so there's heaps less mess. Plus I get to make healthier muffins...my kids love their half brown rice flour/half spelt flour muffins...and I just grind the brown rice for a minute to make it in to flour. DH makes us peanut butter, almond paste etc.
    I even roasted a chicken in it the other day...well steam cooked the chicken, and then put it in the oven for 20 minutes to crisp it up...it was delicious! We're not a huge meat eaters but I know people use it to make roasts in the way that I did, and cook silverside etc. We'll steam fish in the thermomix.
    A lot of the stuff I make in the thermomix I wouldn't make previously due to the mess and time it would take. I never made sauces before, because it took too long. I never made my own stock before, yoghurt or icecream etc. My oldest daughter has a lot of anaphylactic allergies so for it has been great.
    I've never tried a cheaper model, I know a lady who had one of the cheaper models and has upgraded to a thermomix and said she can tell the difference. I think to buy a cheaper model the thermochef is the best bet, but I like that the scales aren't separate on the thermomix....it cuts down on dishes quite a bit.
    For me, anything that gets me out of the kitchen in minimal amount of time + allows me to cook home made food from scratch is a win in my book. Sometimes I can use it up to 8 times a day, sometimes only once. But it was a worthwhile investment for my family even though I don't use it for half of the stuff that it can do (not a dessert maker, we don't eat jam, I don't make my own washing powder with it or dog food etc.)
    I love that I can turn my dinner on, go and shower the kids, make school lunches, fold washing etc. and dinner is cooked. I hated 'wasting time' stirring food over a pot on the stove. Plus it doesn't generate anywhere near as much heat as the stove or oven so I don't mind make a warm meal on a hot day because I don't have to stand over it cooking it.
    I don't have any other appliances. I kept a stick blender because when I make pumpkin soup I make a double batch and cook it on the stove (it doesn't fit in the thermomix), so we use the stick blender then. That's it. Everything else I got rid of. A lot of people keep their slow cooker, but I hasn't used mine for 4 years prior to getting a thermomix so got rid of it too. Slow cookers just don't do it for me.
    Have a demo, scope the internet for recipes etc. If you get one just remember it takes a little bit to get used to it. It probably took me a month to feel really comfortable and confident using it, and able to experiment, convert my old recipes etc. The only people I know who have one and don't use it are those who never took the time to get used to it.
    IMO the thermomix can do so much more than what they show you at the demo. There's a lot of thermomix cooking classes too, you could go to a couple of those and get more of an idea of the type of things you can make.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MrsVeedub  (30-07-2014)