+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default I'm terrified by solids...

I felt this way when packing my hospital bag, too. Basically I just mentally shut down when I think about them. I've read some stuff but it all seems so hard and like the last 5.5 months have been a walk in the park! DS is 25 weeks but only 19 weeks adjusted so I don't know if I should start now, I want to do baby led weaning but I don't fully understand it and purées seem so easy in comparison! Okay...freaking out just writing this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you read the baby led weaning book? It explains everything - there are also plenty of BLW websites and forums and YouTube videos - I promise you it's really really easy and stress free when you understand it all and how natural it - what are your main fears? Is bub showing the right signs of being ready - sitting up unaided, lost tongue reflex ? There is no rush to start - you both need to be ready!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I started ds at just before 6 months (he was born at 41 weeks). I looked for signs he was ready and the thing that decided it for me was him learning how to use a spoon (pick it up & put it in his mouth - he copies us) as well as the usual signs bub is ready for solids.

We are doing blw...starting off really slow, its mostly about building both our confidences atm and him trying a variety of food. In the last two weeks he has had avocado, toast, roast carrot, pumpkin, potato, green beans, capsicum, banana, strawberries, orange, roast pork, roast beef, chicken (stirfried), scrambled eggs, casserole and today i made him an avocado & ham sandwich.

He eats very very little but those are the things he has actually tasted (either licked or gummed).

Have you read the baby led weaning book? I've borrowed it from my local library. Might be helpful if you are unsure where to start or worried.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I've got the BLW book on my phone but haven't had a chance to read it yet! DS is nowhere near sitting up unaided, he could probably sit in a slightly reclined high chair. Do they account for orems with BLW? Also, what happens if you have a stew or something, do you just put some in a bowl for them to try even though it could be ten or so different new foods???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    BLW is not the only way to go and if it is worrying you, just find a compromise that is right for you. When I started my twins on solids I read a lot and felt like BLW must be the way everyone was going. It's not. It's just an option. Personally I found a compromise.

I began with puree and offered fruit in the mesh feeding bag things (I tried giving soft fruit alone and my girls gagged so much that it scared me). I moved from puree to mash to lumpy food quite quickly and along the way started giving banana etc as finger food. Now my girls are 13 months old and I still make stew, mornay, cereal etc that I feed them myself and they can eat anything by hand as well so I always offer both (currently starting to learn to use cutlery).

I read a lot about BLW but I feel more comfortable with making sure they have an enormous range of vegetables and meat in the food that I make and spoon feed them, then they can hand feed some meals. After they have had their main nutrition they also hand feed at every meal until they are full. I also have very little waste of food, which I'm happier with.

So our day looks like this:
    Breakfast: spoon feed porridge with fruit, girls feed selves toast, fruit.

Lunch: spoon feed stew or whatever, girls hand self extra steamed veg, pieces of meat, fruit, pikelet or whatever.

Tea: spoon feed mashed veg, girls self feed sultanas, cheese or whatever.

All snacks are self fed.

I tried both ways and found something in between suits us. My girls eat everything and we have never had any fuss at meal time.

If we are out and about they self feed anything I give them as a meal.

I suppose I'm trying to say that it's fine not to go BLW completely. Not everyone is doing it.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (31-07-2014),Purple Lily  (30-07-2014),Stretched  (30-07-2014),VicPark  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    I've got the BLW book on my phone but haven't had a chance to read it yet! DS is nowhere near sitting up unaided, he could probably sit in a slightly reclined high chair. Do they account for orems with BLW? Also, what happens if you have a stew or something, do you just put some in a bowl for them to try even though it could be ten or so different new foods???
    Yes! One of the great things about BLW is you feed them what you eat - a variety of foods is the best way for them to get used to different textures and flavours , I always put 4 or 5 different things on his tray and it was really interesting watching him pick up and try everything - you don't need to wait 3 days or wait until certain ages to try new foods any food can be given after 6 months ( except honey ) - with prems they still say when the physical signs are there that's when they are ready , your DS might still be a few weeks off but I would start putting him up at the table with you when you eat so he can see you and put done cutlery on his tray to play with or even a thick cut cucumber stick ( skin on ) so he can practice picking it up and if he gets it in his mouth he can suck/ gum the soft flesh - sit down one night and start reading the book - it will all make more sense then!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re stew, you can offer preloaded spoons for the saucy bits (try mixing it into some mash) and let them finger food the chunks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let your baby lead - and if you're comfortable, let him wait til he is 6mths adjusted age too.. If you wait for him, he'll make it very clear when he's good and ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree very much with NAT, BLW is just one of many options and each baby is unique in what works for them. I believe it is a bit of a kneejerk away from the parents who spoon feed until 3 and won't let their child stop eating until the bowl is empty. Most parents do something in between the two.

I started both of mine on purees before 6m and offered finger food as soon as they were interested (7-8m for DD, 4-5m for DS). They have both been 99% self feeding by 12 months (except soup and yoghurt).

If bub is past 4 months corrected you can just start giving them a taste here and there (suck on a chunk of rockmelon, tiny spoon of your cereal etc). You'll get the idea pretty quickly if they're interested yet or not. Then just take it from there. From my experience, offering purees first has not inhibited my children from becoming independent, self-regulating feeders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try not to over think it. Whether you do blw or spoon feed, just go for healthy and not stress too much if you child eats lots in one day and not so much other times. I mainly did blw with dd and thought it would guarantee a good eater but for me dd was super easy when younger and getting more fussy. Ds didn't really take to blw so I spoon fed him more and he was very fussy as a baby but getting better now and eats more variety than dd.