+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love the idea of the coffee cart, could the canteen purchase a coffee machine and open in the mornings?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is a rural school in NZ - Possum Purge - (fur is worth $140/kg here)

Trail ride - local farmers have a trail over their farms, and people come from all over NZ to ride their motorbikes on it, it is our main fundraiser every year, as we have to work out all the safety stuff, have an ambulance on site etc.

Machinery auction - local farmers either donate items to be auctioned off, or donate part of the proceeds of their takings at the auction. The school organises the auction, and supplies the auctioneer.

The school has land that it grazes sheep and cattle that are sold every year.

We have a sports complex in the community, and every month a local group organises a dinner (there is a commercial kitchen) and the proceeds of the dinner go to the group. The school runs about 4 of these a year.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 30-07-2014 at 08:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Love the idea of the coffee cart, could the canteen purchase a coffee machine and open in the mornings?
    Our school did that and it didn't make any money. We found the parents were too busy or if they did want a coffee they didn't want to have it at school.

But every school is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend's school make loads of dosh from their Trivia night, it's an excuse to get out of the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do a fund raising auction for our local primary school at their trivia night - they just get donations from a lot of the local businesses and auction them on the night. - things like gift certificates from hairdressers/beauticians, free car washes, grocery vouchers, restaurant vouchers , gift baskets, meat trays and we once even had a signed football jersey donated from St.George football club that got $500

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The best so far has been the fun run and cookie dough.
    Our school biggest fundraiser seems to be the Easter raffle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    My kids school is quite big - over 800 kids. We bought our coffee cart second hand off another school who weren't making any money off it. I think ours does well due to the size of the school.
    I was going to say I suspected your school was large.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember doing so many car washes and selling chocolates when I was at school! At my children's school they have a school fete once a year. Other than that, some of the other fundraisers are:

- Sausage sizzles (always popular and cheap for the parents. We have them at the school but I have seen schools do them outside Bunnings and Woolworths on a Saturday)

- Trivia nights

- There's a kitchen garden program at the school, so the kids make jam, cordial, relishes etc which people can buy at the office. They also made a school cookbook that they sell.

- The Mother's day/Father's day stalls always make a bit of money (e.g. they buy a heap of cheap 'I love my Mum' mugs and sell them at a profit for $5)

- Run-A-Thon

- Book Fair

- Raffles (I don't really like raffles though. We have no family nearby so we always end up having to buy all the tickets)

- The preschool our youngest is at does those big toy catalogues and the scholastic book catalogues.

A primary school in a nearby town runs the local community market once a month and that's their main fundraiser. The market is held at the school oval and they sell spots to stallholders (as well as having some students running a few stalls with produce from the school garden, food, trash and treasure etc).
    They also hire out their school hall for functions.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh just remembered as well, the school has 2 beehives, and sells the honey to the community as well