+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't gave money but when I was working and would take a packed lunch and bag of snacks that I would never eat, I would leave the bag with a homeless person on the way to the station each night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In 2011 I was working in Sydney, and on my lunch break I walked past a girl about my age sitting at the corner of a busy intersection, crying. From a distance, she didn't look dirty or anything - just like she had had some bad news or something. It didn't cross my mind that she was 'one of them'.

I don't know why - maybe it was because she looked so alone - but I went over and asked her if she was ok. She said "Sorry, I'm just new at this". New at what?? Apparently, new at being homeless. It was Autumn time, and she told me she was really worried about the winter coming, because she didn't know how she would survive it. What do you even say to that?!?!

I asked her if there was anything I could do to help her and she said that just talking to her had already helped more than I knew. I offered her money, but she declined. I had to go back to work, but she said she would still be there when I finished, so I promised to come back and see her again. Before I went back, I went to Kathmandu and bought the warmest, lightest sleeping bag they had. She just cried when I gave it to her.

I think about her a lot and wish I could have done more to help her. She never told me how she became homeless, but meeting her hit home because the reason I approached her in the first place was because she seemed so much like me I moved away shortly after and didn't see her again, so I hope she got back on her feet.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese Please For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (30-07-2014),babyblu11  (30-07-2014),Bennos Mummy  (30-07-2014),FrothyFrog  (30-07-2014),olismumma  (30-07-2014),wobbleyhorse  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I've given money when asked (if i had it) bought people food/lunches and took a homeless woman on the bus to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been asked for money to get food, when I've offered to buy them something they refused
    I have given money to bus driver when someone's been short but I have to selfishly admit that was to get them on so the bus could get moving.

I really feel for this one girl, well more her baby. I work in the city, then did an 18 month secondment in the suburbs before coming back.
    She was pregnant before I left and is now in a wheelchair with no legs. I fear for what happened to the baby and think if I had given her food maybe she wouldn't be this way. The other part of me though is angry at her. I know she's a user ( before and after not sure about during) so i sometimes wonder if she lost her legs to drugs. She cashed in when she was pregnant ( with donations) and I wonder if this enabled her habit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    These recounts actually brought tears to my eyes.

It is so easy to end up homeless these days. So so easy. So so sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back when I was a teen I used to hang about in the city with the street kids...they would beg for money to complete strangers for a feed and so many strangers helped them out, some would even take them to a restaurant and pay for a meal. Its nice to know there are nice, generous ppl in this world: )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to buy morning tea all the time for one of the local homeless guys where I used to work. I used to ask him what he would like on my way past and he was always so grateful.
    Then I moved, and there's another well known homeless man but he refuses to accept food or help from anyone. His story is so sad. His wife and kids were killed in a car accident and he never went home from the hospital. Just turned to the streets. I have bought food and left it on the ground, in the bag, in his eyesight, in hopes that he will pick it up and eat it but I don't know if he ever has or if I'm just wasting my money.
    I tend to say no to those who directly ask for money. And there's one super arrogant homeless man who calls you names when you tell him you don't smoke so can't give him a cigarette so I just ignore him completely now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a guy every morning at the shops looking in the bins. He grans food out when it's there. He never asks for anything from people. I would gladly go buy him something if he asked but I'm too scared to offer. We had one guy (who got moved along quuckly) sitting down with a sign and I asked him if he wanted a coffee or something but he said no coz he couldn't afford to have any addictions, so wasn't asking for smokes either. I went to give him 50$ but my nasty friend wouldn't allow that so I gave him 20 instead. Then he got moved along. I want to help by giving food not money, but when you offer them smokes or coffee and they say no thanks, you kinda have a feeling they actually want food. Like I said I'm always scared to offer food though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was asked when in town once by a very old frail looking fellow if I could please spare some money for food. I didn't have any money on me but I did have some sandwiches and fruit so I offered him my lunch instead, he was extremely polite and kind.
    I felt really awful for him in that situation, he clearly had an education given the way in which he spoke. I just can't even comprehend how hard a life on the streets would be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I lived on the outskirts of the city centre there was a homeless man just around the corner begging for money for food. I didn't have any money on me but was going to the shop, while I was in the shop I bought him some food and gave it to him on my way back home. He was so rude and threw the food back at me. After this experience I have been vary wary of giving anything

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app