+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you ever helped a homeless person or stranger on the street?

As the title asks.

Today I was approached by an older man asking for money to buy a coffee (I know it could have been for anything else too).
    I just feel sad for him. I couldn't help because I really had no change in my wallet.
    It's so sad to see people homeless or struggling/desperate for a few dollars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have given money to buskers and donate to charities. The only thing I've been begged for has been cigarettes and I don't even smoke so couldn't help anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I was studying in the city, many times as I was always passing homeless people in the street and/or at the train station, I'm a bit of a softie but I don't want to sound like I am tooting my horn. I used to *try* and refrain from giving money, and would buy them a meal/food, items instead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think I've ever said no, except when asked for cigarettes as I don't smoke. I've been asked for money for food in the city and didn't have change so I've walked with them to a shop and bought them food (some have turned me down because they didn't genuinely want the money for food!), and a couple of times I have been walking back towork with my lunch and been asked for food, so have given them my lunch.

I have a lot of empathy for them as a lot have mental health, physical health, alcohol or substance abuse issues, or have escaped domestic violence. So if I can even help in a small way then I'm happy to.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes many many times more likely to give to someone who wasn't asking. That is just part of who we are. Actually that is how i met my hubby. He joined a group I help run that feed the homeless.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Have you ever helped a homeless person or stranger on the street?

If they ask me, and I have it, I always give. It's not up to me to judge what they're using the money for and I'm not going to stress over $1. When I was 16 I gave the money mum gave me to sit my Ls to a guy outside the...whatever the driving test place is called...who was crying and going on about needing money for rehab. Now I think about it he probably put my money straight into his arm. Anyway, my mum was MAD... And in Paris once there was a guy there that just had a sign up saying 'I'm hungry' in French. Broke my heart so I bought him some food.

I find it really hard when I travel to places with bulk poverty, like San Fran, when there were beggars literally lining the streets. How do you randomly pick one to donate to? It has to be all of them or none of them. I don't know. I'm a sucker for that stuff I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was once asked by a woman for $2, so she could buy a meat pie. She said she was very hungry. I gave her $2 and I saw her walk straight into the bottle shop and walk out with grog, then a few weeks later I saw her up at the club, on the pokies. I don't like to judge, as I don't know her, but I was a little annoyed. I genuinely did feel sorry for her.

I've been asked for smokes by homeless people, as i don't smoke, I couldn't help out.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=35⭐️

Weight Loss: 6.7kg
    Weight Loss until Goal weight: 10.9
    Weight Loss until SUPER Goal weight: 15.9kg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
    I was once asked by a woman for $2, so she could buy a meat pie. She said she was very hungry. I gave her $2 and I saw her walk straight into the bottle shop and walk out with grog, then a few weeks later I saw her up at the club, on the pokies. I don't like to judge, as I don't know her, but I was a little annoyed. I genuinely did feel sorry for her.

I've been asked for smokes by homeless people, as i don't smoke, I couldn't help out.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=35⭐️

Weight Loss: 6.7kg
    Weight Loss until Goal weight: 10.9
    Weight Loss until SUPER Goal weight: 15.9kg
    This is why I prefer charities. She is milking people's generosity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Yes I have but my aunt who works at a rehabilitation centre said you're better off donating to organised programs that help the homeless if you really want to help them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have bought people food instead of giving cash when they asked for cash for food. A couple of times it was right out the front of a 24/7 so I just offered to buy them what they wanted which they accepted.