+ Reply to Thread
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I organised my kids today...

Inspired by the pantry organising thread, I though I'd share the chore chart I did for the kids yesterday. Next year I'll be either working or studying so I want them pulling their weight around the house. I'd love to hear from other hubbers on how you organise your kids and get them to willingly help out without having to be nagged!

I made two charts, and got them laminated with a heap of little badges for various chores - make your bed, pack your bag etc. Each chore is attached on a velcro dot, when they complete a chore they pop the picture into the bag underneath. When they empty the chart they get a star (hopefully twice a day). Enough stars earns them an outing (currently working towards a trip to the zoo). Excuse the lumps of blu-tac, I covered their names for privacy

Feel free to post pics or ideas on how you get your kids to organise themselves!
    Attached Images

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (29-07-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (29-07-2014),LoveLivesHere  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a basic chart that says what they need to do in the morning, included with pictures (for my youngest who can't read). My older two refer to it all the time to get themselves ready for the day.
    My youngest refers to it and then stuffs around all morning.

I also have a job box. If they don't put something away and I have to pick it up, on order to get it back they have to do a job for me...this could be anything from emptying the dishwasher, to making lunches for school, to folding washing. Every Sunday night the contents of the job box gets thrown in to the garbage. It works to an extent, but we have lost a lot to the garbage when it's something they just don't care enough about....however it helps declutter

That's about it. Honestly, I have found studying full time and raising three children with a husband who works very long hours very tough and I learnt to let a lot go in order to get by.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That looks fantastic! How old are your children? I have 3.5 yr olds... Thinking something like this would be ideal, especially now I'm working part time. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Party of Three I did a printed chart too but I had to keep reprinting it (they marked things off) and I was constantly telling them to check the chart This is a bit more fun and interactive. So you're studying full time? I'm planning on doing that next year, hubby also works long hours but both girls will be in school so fx I can manage the load!

I like the idea of the job box though and yes it would be a great way of culling toys :thumbup: I confiscate things for the days if they argue about tidying, maybe I should get tougher. Though I remember the trauma of my mum throwing lego in the fireplace when we were kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shirleysmum View Post
    That looks fantastic! How old are your children? I have 3.5 yr olds... Thinking something like this would be ideal, especially now I'm working part time. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Thanks I found some lovely clip art which I made use of. They are 5 & 6 so a bit older than yours. But it's really easy to do and as their skills increase I can easily tip down to officeworks and make some more badges for extra chores. Soon they'll be big enough to mow the lawns and clean the chimney heh heh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    @Party of Three I did a printed chart too but I had to keep reprinting it (they marked things off) and I was constantly telling them to check the chart This is a bit more fun and interactive. So you're studying full time? I'm planning on doing that next year, hubby also works long hours but both girls will be in school so fx I can manage the load!

I like the idea of the job box though and yes it would be a great way of culling toys :thumbup: I confiscate things for the days if they argue about tidying, maybe I should get tougher. Though I remember the trauma of my mum throwing lego in the fireplace when we were kids
    haha! Anything they seem particularly traumatised by I give them a second chance, but they have to prove themselves for an extended period of time (max of a week, and I make it something achievable for them).

I was studying full time, but my husband is going to be away my whole semester this semester and I can not give my kids two absent parents, so have dropped to part time. It means I'll be at uni for 5 years instead of 4, but the relief from the pressure of full time study is amazing. Last semester I had two days off uni...I was either on placement, or had my head in the books every other day. I came close to burning out last semester. Family time suffered greatly, there was none. Hubby and I just juggled the kids separately between uni and his work. However, the degree that I am doing is not typical, and the university I go to openly said it is 'all consuming, and one of the hardest degrees to obtain.' I am upset I won't graduate with my peers but it's what I need to do for my family.
    In saying all of that, I was all prepared to continue on my full time path and 'steam barrel' my way through and everyone was fully supportive of it. Our life circumstances have changed, and I am the one with the option to free up some time, so that's what I've done. I'm determined as ever to get my degree and work in my chosen career.
    I went in to my degree with the attitude that I would stay full time until it wasn't feasible anymore. It's not feasible now, but had my husband not been required to work away so much for at least this semester I would have continued on the full time pathway.
    I will say this....accept help from people, and outsource as much as you can. We outsource housework and the garden during uni semesters. It has meant I've been able to continue to exercise (getting up as early as 4.30am to fit it in sometimes....exercise is very important for me, and it's high on my list of priorities) instead of getting up early in the morning to get some housework done. I absolutely believe that getting to release some endorphins through exercise on a regular basis is what stopped me from burning out last semester.
    But, man, my standards have dropped. I always know when the semester is ending because I find it hard to switch off from the mess, and am itching to get in and get my house back in order!
    Last edited by Full House; 29-07-2014 at 22:03.