+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I received a letter from centrelink. It had my address and I could tell from the envelope that it was a cl letter but didn't realise it was intended for my neighbour until I started reading it and had no idea what it was going on about. I tried to return it to her personally but she was on the phone when I went over so left it on her door step.

Honestly, unless you saw her steal the mail from your mail box then I don't think you have many rights. Yeah she read it but the postie made the mistake and all it takes is a moment of lost concentration on her behalf prior to opening the letter.

I know you said you don't get on but that doesn't mean she did it intentionally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Thankyou you for this info. I may print it out and hand it to her for future reference. That way I am not accusing her, just asking that she be aware.
    as you said, I can't prove it was intentional or not.
    If you give her a print out then you are accusing her. No-one would take receiving a print out in any other way than an accusation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Love View Post
    So sorry this happened to you love... what a horrible feeling. Please call 131318 (aus post customer service) and report it as this is a delivery issue that needs to be brought to the Delivery Centers attention. The operator will log a file/complaint and send it through to have it followed up for you. Unless you let Aus Post know about this, it very well could happen again.. and again. Sometimes the sorting staff and the posties need a kick up the bum!

Let them know also what has resulted from this and the operator will take the notes to pass it on.

Also my only worry with you confronting them is in future if they receive mail for you they may not only read it, but then toss it away. I definitely wouldn't approach them accusing them of anything. Just get onto Aus post and report the issue so it never happens again. Hopefully.

Even though they are pricey a PO BOX is a good idea. Though i wont lie - sorting issues happen with them as well with other PO Box's.
    Posties have a very stressful job. Some have a round with up to 2000 mail boxes on it. They usually have someone else sorting the mail and then after a brief glance, have to see who it is addressed to. Lets not forget all the people who make address errors, small printing, scanable packages, people moving mailboxes, new houses, councils changing street numbers as sub development happens. All this while on a strict timeline. Then posties also have sick days where another postie does the round and they may not be familiar with all the houses.

I think people should have a large mailbox next to the footpath and curb with their address clearly visible. When a postie has to add in doing u-turns ect to get to your mailbox it is just adding more work and there are more chances of error occuring.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I always check who's name is on the mail before I open. How annoying for you OP.

I just have a correction to make.

Earlier in the thread @[Mod] Uniqey gave you some information regarding the information the legalities of opening mail addressed to others.

but, further to this info you should know:

Just to clarify my previous answer. The offences from the Criminal Code in my answer above apply to mail boxes, not letters.
    With letters it is not an actual offence to open the mail, but it is an offence to keep mail that is not addressed to you.

471.8 Dishonestly obtaining delivery of articles
    A person is guilty of an offence if the person dishonestly obtains delivery of, or receipt of, an article in the course of post that is not directed to the person.
    Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years.
    (taken from the same website: http://www.justanswer.com/australian...addressed.html)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Noms, I did a shonky cut and paste on here and didn't even noticed that the end part was missing. I was emailed it from caring person who saw my facebook ranty tant about it at the time!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too always check the name - I don't open my husband's mail. Maybe sleep on it OP and see how you feel in the morning. I would be super ****ed off too but I wonder if it will do any good to follow it up with her. I would let Australia post know though for their records and maybe child support incase she does use the info against you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have accidentally opened my neighbors mail as well.

Am I the only person who opens their DPs mail? :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post

It depends. If it's the electricity bill or our monthly account from our mechanic I will. If it's not obviously marked I won't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a horrible breach of privacy. I'd feel sick if that had happened to me. Big hugs OP.

I always check mail before opening it because I hate opening bills these days and leave those for DH. Or for sometime when I'm feeling brave. And I never open mail addressed to DH. Although, again, it's partly because I don't want to have to deal with it. His super statement - he can file it himself thanks. Bill addressed to him - yay! I can leave it for him guilt free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post

I only open my mail...this is dh's mail pile, not even he opens his mail!
    (oops, pic won't upload but dh's mail pile contains approx 50 letters/bills or whatever!)

Op, I'd be really really peeved off too
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 29-07-2014 at 20:22.