+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    WE are getting a Post Office box. And yes, it is a federal offence to open mail not addressed to you.
    Please check your mail in future.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (29-07-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is not an offense to accidently open someone else's mail. It is only an offense if it was done with intent.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (29-07-2014),NoteToSelf  (30-07-2014),Purple Lily  (29-07-2014),Que Sera  (31-07-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (29-07-2014),TheGooch  (29-07-2014),thepouts  (29-07-2014),Wise Enough  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why aren't those types of letters sent registered post, save sensitve information getting into the wrong hands.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (29-07-2014),clucky_duck  (29-07-2014),Gracie's Mum  (29-07-2014),Lauzy  (29-07-2014),Little Miss Muffet  (29-07-2014),ozeymumof5  (29-07-2014),TheGooch  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see why you are upset....I would also be really worried what my neighbor had seen - especially given the sensitive nature of the letter.

As someone else said, I don't think it's an offense to accidentally open someone else's mail (if that is what happened). I am another who has done that unintentionally (or my kids have - they generally open our mail).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have many times accidently opened mail just on autopilot like other PPs.
    Never done with intent.
    It's upsetting it was such a private piece of mail but I don't think you can do anything about it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good call on getting the PO Box, that way you will never have to worry about this sort of thing happening again.

I move quite a lot and always pay for the 12 months re-direction, but forgot to let a certain reward card company know that I had a new address. It turns out the people in my previous home had been opening my letters from this company and were using my reward cards.

Anyway, it is a federal offence to intentionally open someone's mail, but it's hard to prove, especially when it is delivered to the wrong letterbox.

I was give this info at the time:

The Commonwealth Criminal Code makes it an offence to open someone elses mail. This legislation applies Australia wide.

The following is an extract from the legislation:--

471.7 Tampering with mail-receptacles
    (1) A person is guilty of an offence if the person dishonestly:
    (a) opens a mail-receptacle; or
    (b) tampers with a mail-receptacle.
    Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years.
    (2) A person is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) the person intentionally opens a mail-receptacle; and
    (b) the person is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle; and
    (c) the person does so knowing that he or she is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle.
    Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Gosh! Am I the only one who always checks the name on my mail? I'm so surprised at how many people have opened other people's mail! I've never opened another persons mail. Not even DH's unless I've been given permission!

OP I'm so sorry your privacy was breached like this. I'm not sure what you can really do about it since the damage is done but a start would be to call the post office to make sure they're more careful about the delivery of your mail. Is be absolutely ropable if I thought someone had read my personal mail

I dont open open dh's mail either or even my kids lol!
    I called the post office and they suggested a PO box. Not much else I can do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

hoping4asticky1  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Why aren't those types of letters sent registered post, save sensitve information getting into the wrong hands.
    Good point. It doesn't seem to be the done thing though. Maybe a cost thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    Good call on getting the PO Box, that way you will never have to worry about this sort of thing happening again.

I move quite a lot and always pay for the 12 months re-direction, but forgot to let a certain reward card company know that I had a new address. It turns out the people in my previous home had been opening my letters from this company and were using my reward cards.

Anyway, it is a federal offence to intentionally open someone's mail, but it's hard to prove, especially when it is delivered to the wrong letterbox.

I was give this info at the time:

The Commonwealth Criminal Code makes it an offence to open someone elses mail. This legislation applies Australia wide.

The following is an extract from the legislation:--

471.7 Tampering with mail-receptacles
    (1) A person is guilty of an offence if the person dishonestly:
    (a) opens a mail-receptacle; or
    (b) tampers with a mail-receptacle.
    Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years.
    (2) A person is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) the person intentionally opens a mail-receptacle; and
    (b) the person is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle; and
    (c) the person does so knowing that he or she is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle.
    Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years.

Thankyou you for this info. I may print it out and hand it to her for future reference. That way I am not accusing her, just asking that she be aware.
    as you said, I can't prove it was intentional or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As an aside, I actually wrote to the new people in my former home (very politely) and said to them that I knew they had been opening mail addressed for me and that although the onus was on me to tell the company my new address (despite having mail redirection in place, that (a) ethically it wasn't the right thing for them to do and (b) it was illegal to open mail not addressed to them and that it was very poor form to then 'steal' the contents of the letter. (I didn't say steal).

I just needed them to know I knew .

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (29-07-2014),Little Miss Muffet  (29-07-2014)