+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My neighbour read my private and confidential mail :(

Not sure where to put this but I need advice.
    the postie put a private and confidential letter into the wrong mailbox (next doors). We don't talk to next door or really get along with them as they hate our dog.
    anyways, I saw the lady next door wonder over to our mail box and put a letter in it. I thought it would be another about our dog. She is too gutless to talk and compromise like an adult. She gets her husband to bang down our door at 9pm of a night if they have a problem with the dog during the day.

so, I got the letter and it was clearly opened and tampered with. This letter was from child support services. In it, describes everything me and my family are going through ATM. Alcohol addiction, depression, pnd, anxiety and financial stress.
    It was addressed to me with red PRaiVATE and CONFIDENTIAL stamped on the front of the letter. It smelt of cigarette smoke. We don't smoke.

i don't know my rights on this but I am furious and so upset.
    I want to go in to her and asked if she enjoyed nosing through our PRIVATE mail that was addressed to ME. That I can see the damn letter was opened, it was barely sealed, I'm not a Moron. Stupid old cow.

It it was the posties mistake. But now my hideous neighbour knows about EVERYThInG. Including where and when my kids go to daycare.

im so so so upset about this.
    What's the mature thing to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whoa. That's so not on. It's illegal to open another person's mail. I don't know where you go from here, but it is illegal so you should have some right. Hopefully someone else can come and give you some better advice, but I am so sorry this happened to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its a pain in the butt but she probably didn't even look at the name on the envelope being that it was in her letter box.
    I have opened my neighbour across the roads mail because it was in our letter box on more than one occasion. I didn't realise it wasn't for me until I read it.
    I have always gone over and explained what has happened and she hasn't cared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I unintentionally opened a letter to my neighbour once, it was in my mailbox, I did not flip it over and look at the front, just ripped open the envelope.

So, I guess what I am saying is, it might have been an accident?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I ALWAYS open mail not addressed to me by mistake. Grab it out open it then think WTH is this? Oops not my name.

So it may be an innocent mistake, which regardless she will say it was even if she was being a snoopy old cow

So honestly I doubt there is really anything to be done unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep I'm another that has accidentally opened mail that hasn't been mine but was in my letter box. I just get it out and open it without really looking at the name given we live her and expect we get our own mail.

I can understand your angst, and it really is unfortunate. But it may well not have been intentional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may possibly have been a mistake. But with our history, I can't help but feel she may have seen "child services" and wanted to sticky beak. I feel so vulnerable and awful ATM.
    I always check who my mail is addressed to. I think in future I will be asking that child services contact me through email or phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same I've opened my neighbours mail by mistake. Confronting her won't undo her knowing your business. Perhaps she will be nicer now she knows what you're struggling with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully it was just a mistake as pp's have said, she may not have even read it. If it were me, as soon as I saw the name at the top of the letter I would have immediately put it back in the envelope and not read any further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I understand you are angry and upset over this. However it may not have been intentional. We once had our neighbour's bank statement put in our letterbox by mistake. I was on autopilot and opened their letter without paying attention to the name on the envelope. I did knock on their door, gave them their letter and explained what happened.

Maybe it was an honest mistake and she was too scared to admit it?
    This. We get mail for 3 or 4 previous owners of our house and I've occasionally opened their letters and not realised until I started reading.
    I can understand how you are upset by it though. Is there anyway you can let her know it upset you and any information she read should be kept to herself?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyMac For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (29-07-2014)