+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    No, not the problem parent at all. I can see why you'd be so angry. Can I suggest trying to approach the teacher in person first, just to clear up whether there has been any miscommunication, and so you can show that you've tried to manage the situation fairly. Then if you get no joy I would take it up with the principal. The reason I suggest this is she seems like the type of teacher that takes things out on her students, but if she can see you are pleasant and fair and just want to give her the benefit of the doubt then I think you are covering all bases.
    This. I think it's awful what's happened. How unnecessarily stressful! Her behaviour belongs in another decade or maybe another century. Shaming kids is archaic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I get where your coming from and normally this is my way with dealing with problems. I am just so angry I feel like I will lose it at her.

The principal and I know each other very well. We have been at the school for 9 years and I know she is really fair and will pull me up if she feels I am over stepping.

This is where I am really torn. The teacher knows his self esteem problems as it was put in his learning support plan at the beginning of the term as a major problem the teachers need to consider when the modify his lesson plans. Yet she saw fit to shame him like this.

We (his learning head learning support teacher and I) had already written off music as a expected fail. She had already told ds1 to priorities it as the lowest level of his time. Choosing to spend more time on the core subjects to get him to a C. We tried to transfer him out of her class last term but there was no where he could go.

Dh is ropeable and I am glad he is away for the next few days.

I wish I could just take him out of her class.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    After reading this, go straight to the principal. Write down your main points and meet in person. I don't think going to the teacher will get you the resolution you need.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (28-07-2014),BettyW  (28-07-2014),LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014),MissMuppet  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's awful and disgusting of the teacher...

I remember being in year 6 and a student wasn't going on an end of term trip to the movies with the rest of the class (even I knew as an 11 year old that his parents were so poor they couldn't afford it) and the teacher made him stand up in front of class and lectured him about being anti-social and not keeping with a class spirit or some nonsense.. even at 11 I felt SO bad for the kid and knew it was so wrong.

I think this fits in to a very similar teacher bullying student scenario, worsened by the teacher actually knowing the circumstances and not giving two hoots about it. Disgraceful and I would formally complain, god knows how many other kids they will do it to over their teaching career if never pulled up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    Hugs anewme. She sounds like she is a really hard teacher. I think your reasons for him not being there were perfectly understandable.

As far as the early morning class goes is that an extra class or is it part of their timetable? I know some subjects fall outside of normal school hours in older years. Is it possible for him to get a lift on those days with someone else?

"Insert witty signature here"
    No it definitely not part of the time table. She just decided today to add it. He can't get a lift to school we live too far away.

We spend a lot of money (about 18% of our income) for The kids go to this school because they are so good with kids with special needs and gifted kids. Dd1 was gifted and ds1 and dd2 have special needs. Ds2 is being investigated as special needs too. This is this teacher first year there.

Dd1 finished school there 3 years ago and never had out of school hours classes as a regular thing only ever as a once off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be going to the principal as well

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lettabean For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You're well within your rights to be angry, I know I would be.
    I would call or visit the school and arrange a face to face with the teacher. Her example that the children had 15 weeks to arrange transportation is exactly like you said, completely irrelevant in this situation. I'd be saying that to her when you meet in person. It's not about being a problem parent, it's about being the voice for your innocent DS.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely unacceptable on the teacher's part.

I'm a high school teacher myself, and I can understand getting frustrated with students not meeting what you see as their responsibilities (turning up to a performance). Without the extenuating circumstances, that conversation would have been reasonable as a one-on-one - certainly not in front of the rest of the class. WITH the additional details that she was aware of...completely unacceptable.

I would suggest the same as a previous poster; go and speak to her personally to calmly find out what happened. I would really, strongly, recommend this unless there's no way at all you can keep it together. In which case...principal it is.

As for the extra class... again, I can see the temptation to do that. That doesn't mean she can enforce it. Also, extremely unprofessional to attempt to organise that without any attempt to contact parents.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (28-07-2014),FrothyFrog  (28-07-2014),LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014),ozeymumof5  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an *after* school subject in year 12 and it was scheduled only after we had all checked that we would be able to commit to that time and be able to make travel arrangements. This teacher sounds ridiculous. If it were one issue then I would say deal directly with the teacher, but as there are a few problems I don't see a problem going straight to the principal. Especially considering she sounds like the sort who would get her back up and get aggressive about having her methods/directions queried (although that could just be me reading too much into it).

Sorry that you and your family have been having such a difficult time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartonia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go straight to the principle. I'm kind of an overreactionary parent, so I would pull him from the class and send him to the library instead.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I never had music fall in class times when i was at school. I had band 4 out of 5 lunch times, 2 early mornings and 5 afternoons until 5 then once a week i would have naval band in the evenings and once a week i had brass band in the evenings. Exams and performances were always night time affairs and usually once every few weeks. Music eats up a lot of time if you do it and being in a band outside school hours is more full on then sport. i think the early morning is totally justifiable and the commitment to improvement.

If a sports coach wanted an extra mornings training session to improve the team, how is this any different?

Singling out a child and causing humiliation is something that does need to be addressed though.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post: