+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much do you pay your nanny?

After nearly 6 years off work I've decided that I'd like to get back into the work force. I have 4 children, 2 at school full time, one at preschool 2 days a week and a toddler at home. Thinking my best option would be a nanny so he/she can do school drop offs and pick ups without me having to juggle a late night dash to 2 different OSHC then daycare.
    So my question is how much do you pay your nanny? Is it an hourly or daily rate? Do they do anything extra like clean or cook? And do you think that having a nanny is easier for you then OSHC and childcare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a private nanny for 8yrs.. I was paid $25hr - I had to take my tax and running costs out of that though.
    I did the sporting runs after school and cooked dinners with the kids on every night that we could. I didn't always do washing, but did, for example, wash the kids swimming gear, straight after school during lesson weeks.
    I cleaned an little (swept and/or mopped spills) but they had a cleaner also.
    I worked for a double, high income family and did a good 12-16hrs a week, 40wks a year. And odd, whole days during school holidays, etc..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by xyz987; 22-08-2014 at 07:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz987 View Post
    I'll be interested to see what people say. I pay our baby sitter $22 - $25 cash an hour and she does absolutely nothing. Leaves bottles on the sofa, doesn't clean up after baby, wash their dishes/clean high hair, pack away toys. I think I've always been easy going and are now getting taken advantage of. I just don't understand why she doesn't spend 20 minutes having a bit of a tidy up after little one goes to bed (little one is super easy to put to bed). $25 an hour to watch telly! I get home from a night out and have to spend half an hour tidying up!
    Gross! Sounds like she is more of a burden then a help. Get a new one ASAP!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (02-08-2014),Gothel  (02-08-2014),Jodes35  (02-08-2014),Oblena  (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumat View Post
    I was a private nanny for 8yrs.. I was paid $25hr - I had to take my tax and running costs out of that though.
    I did the sporting runs after school and cooked dinners with the kids on every night that we could. I didn't always do washing, but did, for example, wash the kids swimming gear, straight after school during lesson weeks.
    I cleaned an little (swept and/or mopped spills) but they had a cleaner also.
    I worked for a double, high income family and did a good 12-16hrs a week, 40wks a year. And odd, whole days during school holidays, etc..
    Thank you for the reply. I would be very happy to pay $25 an hour if it means they were like you and did some extra things other than school pick up. Perhaps when I do find the right nanny then I can stipulate some extra stuff that I require being done throughout the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz987 View Post
    I'll be interested to see what people say. I pay our baby sitter $22 - $25 cash an hour and she does absolutely nothing. Leaves bottles on the sofa, doesn't clean up after baby, wash their dishes/clean high hair, pack away toys. I think I've always been easy going and are now getting taken advantage of. I just don't understand why she doesn't spend 20 minutes having a bit of a tidy up after little one goes to bed (little one is super easy to put to bed). $25 an hour to watch telly! I get home from a night out and have to spend half an hour tidying up!
    Wow! I would be looking into getting a new babysitter. Our babysitter is a qualified daycare teacher who charges $15hr. She will clean up anything that her or my girls used or dirtied in the time she was looking after them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to go off topic but where do people find their nannies/baby sitters?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by xyz987; 22-08-2014 at 07:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but where do people find their nannies/baby sitters?
    We have the option of 2 babysitters. One was my girls old daycare teacher and the other one I could always ask who also has references and qualifications is their swimming instructor. Most of the time people have come to me and said if you ever need anyone to look after your girls then let me know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ XYZ987 I don't think it gets any easier the more children you have either. I still struggle and feel guilty every time I leave my daughters. If you are comfortable with your babysitter then perhaps it might be easier sticking with her flaws?

I've just been speaking with DH who thinks I should wait until DD3 starts school next year. At least then I'll have 3 at the same school and one daughter at home. If that's the case it may be easier to juggle after school care and daycare. It would work out to be cheaper than a nanny. Ahhh so hard to decide.