+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default People liking bad news statuses on facebook - why?!!!

Does anyone else get puzzled when someone posts something unfortunate going on in their life as their facebook status and people 'like' it?

Two examples:

1) My friend last week was mucked around by her travel agent resulting in her and her young children missing their flight and having to fly from NZ to Fiji at 2am. 10 people liked her post.

2) My cousin is upset that her toddler is really sick and keeps getting sick from being in childcare. 6 likes.

In both cases, the posts were not humorous or witty, they were factual vents.

Do you think people 'like' because they want people to know they've seen/read the update?

Or are they just sadistic chumps who thrive on the misfortune of others?

Surely a sympathetic comment is more appropriate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh this bugs me as well!

I think maybe it's people not knowing what to say, but wanting to express that they've read the post and acknowledge it in some way, so the 'like' button is the only alternative to commenting??

I used to be astounded by people either 'liking' some of the update posts I would put on facebook when my DD was in hospital, even the ones with only bad news would be liked, and that was the only logical explanation I could put to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's acknowledging that they've read the post, although I still find it odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I think it's acknowledging that they've read the post, although I still find it odd.
    Yep I agree with this. I never like these though, and instead comment with "thinking of you" etc to let them know that I've acknowledged their tough time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Yep I agree with this. I never like these though, and instead comment with "thinking of you" etc to let them know that I've acknowledged their tough time.
    Same here, I find 'liking' those kind of statuses quite rude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think sometimes 'liking something' is an acknowledgement that one has read your post or that someone can relate to what you've said. It's not necessarily in the context the op is suggesting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the above posters. It's not about 'liking' the topic of the post, it is more an acknowledgement of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's definitely more of a "I see this" and then either a inbox or a text or a call will follow it up. Sometimes I think those types of posts can be follow ups. You don't necessarily know the whole story but the people liking do and again, it's just acknowledgment. It's still weird as hell but there's a new social rule now and it seems we all got the memo.

Though some of us just might have pressed like and not read it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always just thought it meant that they acknowledged it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014),NancyBlackett  (28-07-2014)

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the 'like' on facebook is more of 'I have seen this' or some acknowledgement. I do think we could have a 'hugs' button on this site. I fine myself thanking people, when I really just want to 'hug' or somehow, show that I can share their feelings or something.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2014),ozeymumof5  (28-07-2014)