+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to ask or check out when hiring a cleaner for the first time

So we plan to hire a cleaner in the next week or so, and I'm not too sure what I should be checking for when doing a call around.
    I can't find one via a referral (new town, don't know anyone!) but have come up with a few names to call.
    The obvious to me is price, availability, what they do for that price and how long it takes, if they BYO gear and what they use.
    But that's about it :/
    Is there anything I need to specify? Do I need to have a list of the things I want done/cleaned? What do I need to know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing! I need a cleaner and the one we had at our old house was a friend of a friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I told them what I wanted done, asked them if they used their own stuff or mine and showed them around the place. I thought at first it would be a certain amount of time but was flexible with that in case it took longer.

That's about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, decide if you want weekly or fortnightly and settle on a price-I have fortnightly-sometimes the tasks they do can be flexible eg: they may do the essentials every fortnight, but things like skirting boards or ceiling fan wipe down once a month. Sort out what is essential for you- for me, it is changing all the beds- they pull off all dirty sheets and remake all beds once a fortnight. I have found it better if they provide all their own equipment, including industrial vacuum cleaner. I don't include mirrored robes in mine as it added to the cost and the kids touch them all the time anyway so I do them myself (sometimes!). Shuttered blinds can also add to the price a lot as they can be time consuming. So, best thing is to decide what special task is essential for you (apart from surefaces, bathroom, toilet) and go from there. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou!
    Good advice. I've worked out that I want vacuum, mop, basic dust, surfaces/sink wiped down, bathroom, ensuite and toilets (inc shower) Remake the master bed. Wipe glass doors in cabinets.
    And the odd things I would like are alternated are: fridge/oven/microwave, ceiling fans, and the sliding glass doors.
    How did you work out if you needed weekly or fortnightly??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a list of things that I wanted them to do and asked a couple of them to come in and quote once I'd showed them the place and what I expected them to do. I also got quotes on jobs that don't need to be done as regularly, i.e. cleaning the oven.

The advantage of having them come over to quote was that they could give me an accurate price based on the time it would take them. And getting to meet them, suss out their personality, before hiring them is a big advantage. Weekly or fortnightly is more of a personal choice. Like if your place gets really dusty, you might want the cleaner once a week. We keep things fairly tidy and I'm happy to do light cleaning so I only get the cleaner once a fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, we have a busy household of 5 and fortnightly is fine for us- a full on clean each fortnight is enough to tide us over- in between, I vacuum using a stick vacuum as required, and obviously do toilets and so on. Plus, in order to get the house ready for the cleaners, I have to do a full tidy, put everything away and unpack sheets etc, and once a week would be too much when I am racing out the door for work. I also forgot to mention that mine wipe out microwave each time.