+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Suddenly fussy eater

Our dd has been an excellent eater since we started playing with solids and BLW around the 5/6mth mark. She would happily play, eat & try just about everything. It was a bit of a running joke for some time to find something she WOULDNT eat.

Now at 10mths, all of a sudden she gets really annoyed at her food and pushes it away often. Foods she once couldn't get enough of she wants nothing to do with or will take one bite and throw the rest on the floor.
    At meal times we seem to have to give her lots of tiny bits of many foods as she seems to get so flustered with thing so quickly. It's the only way to make sure sue actually eats anything of substance.
    It's become a bit of a nightmare as I am constantly preparing multiple little meals for her and a lot goes to waste as well as when we go out I feel like I'm taking a buffet with us. One day she will happily eat a banana, the next day she acts like it's laced with poison. So I never know what she wants or what to offer her to eat without all the drama.

She prefers to feed herself. So it's hard to minimise the mess when she doesn't want something or decided two bites is enough.

I should add - it seems she would gladly eat cheese 24/7. I try a variety of meals and tastes and textures. Mostly she eats whatever we are having and a selection of fruits, tuna, yoghurt, avocado sandwiches etc.

Anyone had this before?!? Is it just a phase of independence or asserting her opinion ? Not really sure what to do to cause a lot less stress at meal times and make sure she is getting a good variety of meals and enough to eat etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This sounds exactly like DS, even down to looking offended when I offer him his 'favorite foods'!

I just put it down to a stage he's going through or teething. Some days he hardly eats anything so I just make sure he gets a bit of extra milk. He's been through this stage a few times now, but I try to keep what I do fairly consistent so he doesn't expect to get crackers etc at every meal. It's hard though and it can be stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    This sounds exactly like DS, even down to looking offended when I offer him his 'favorite foods'!

I just put it down to a stage he's going through or teething. Some days he hardly eats anything so I just make sure he gets a bit of extra milk. He's been through this stage a few times now, but I try to keep what I do fairly consistent so he doesn't expect to get crackers etc at every meal. It's hard though and it can be stressful
    Thanks for the reply. : )
    How old is your ds @Curby ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both mine have gone through fussy food stages around the 1 year mark. DS1 was started on puree and would eat anything and everything, and DS2 was BLW and would eat anything and everything - both until about that age. Favourite foods would just get chucked on the floor and they started eating like sparrows. I think I have read it's a developmental thing?

With DS1 I would make special meals or just resort to giving him toast and vegemite 3 times a day and got really frustrated at his refusal. DS2 I am a bit tougher and offer what everyone else is eating, if he doesn't touch it he might get a bit of fruit or yogurt that I know he will eat, but I try not to fuss too much and if fav foods get chucked on the floor it's mealtime over. I thought BLW would avoid the fussiness, but clearly not!
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 28-07-2014 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 10.5 month DD is like this at the moment too! She doesn't have any teeth yet so I'm not sure whether its teething related or not.

She used to eat or taste absolutely everything that was put in front of her, but now she either throws it off the highchair or clamps her mouth shut if I try to feed her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    Thanks for the reply. : )
    How old is your ds @Curby ?
    He's 14 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has just become like this too, he's almost 18 months. I've researched and his is apparently because of a growth/ developmental spurt around this age, and they also have one around 9/10/11/12 months according to google searches so it could be that.

Sorry, I have no real advice, but we're in exactly the same boat, even changing daily what he 'likes' and doesn't, except he too adores cheese, it's really the only safe bet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the same issue with DS from 11 months. Some days he has huge appetite, other days I struggle to find something he wants. Some days he only wants to feed himself, the next day he can't get enough off the spoon. Favourite foods come and go.

I am trying to encourage him to self feed and that varies hugely from meal to meal as well.

I try not to worry about it now I know it changes from meal to meal, day to day. It is frustrating though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the replies. I wondered too if it could be a developmental thing. She is just learning to show she doesn't want things or that she has a clearer idea of what she likes and dislikes.
    Just trying to ride the wave a little and offer a bit of everything. She seems to have taken a liking to roast chicken this week.. so I'm pleased she isn't just eating cheese 24/7.
    I wish she would eat more fruit though. She used to love strawberries and would happily eat almost a whole banana a for breakfast. But lately they don't even get licked, just go straight on the floor. Which she thinks is hilarious cause the dogs swoop in to eat it all.
    This week I have mixed her foods up a lot. Changed where we eat and keep the dogs away. So she is actually eating a lot more atm.