+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default What does your baby sleep in?

So DS is almost 6 months old now and I'm still swaddling him to sleep for naps. I can't get him to sleep any other way but I know that now he's rolling, I really need to start doing something different.

What do you put bub to sleep in? I have sleeping bags (merino wool) but does he need a blanket over that? How do you transition from swaddling to not swaddling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This time round I'm using the Love to Dream swaddles but with DS1 I used swaddle wraps. When weaning him off them I started with day sleeps and kept one arm out for a couple of sleeps, then both arms out (with him still wrapped snugly across the chest), then did it at night. He moved from a swaddle wrap into a grobag. We also used an oil heater to keep the room warm at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was still swaddled until he was 8ish months. The only way I transitioned him out of it was when it was so hot that it was too hot for a wrap!

But I suggest swaddling him looser as time goes on eventually until he's not really wrapped anymore. I would say that if he's rolling he should have enough strength to lift his head and cry out for you if he got stuck on his tummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and we have a blanket over the sleeping bag, but many babies move too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DS hit around 5 months i put him in a Woombie... as it still gives them that secure feeling, but with more movement... which is a great way to start the transition from the swaddle to the sleeping bag. Here's a pic of DS in his Woombie. He absolutely LOVED it. He was very tired in this pic lol!

I bought mine off ebay. One of the best things i ever purchased and will use it for DD as well!

Oh and I would put a blanket over him, but not too high up to add extra warmth during the winter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I just ordered a Woombie, it's worth a try. I've got one of the convertible ones so I can move to swaddling him with his arms out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    He sleeps with his arms out at night just fine because we co-sleep but during the day so far he just won't happily go to sleep with them out. He waves them about and hits himself in the head like a dork.