+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Potty to toilet transition?

Hi mummas,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. My little 22 month old boy has pretty much potty trained at home - can communicate that he needs to go, and has had only a handful of accidents since starting the process a few weeks ago. (I'm super proud of him!!)

We started him using a potty really early (like at 7 months), so he is very familiar and comfortable on it.

Our problem is with going out - he seems to have developed an aversion/fear to going on a big toilet. He had initially been ok with this, but now seems to resist it. For example, last night after his swimming lesson, he had a shower and then said "Go potty mummy?" So I took him to the toilet at the pool and popped him on - he knew to pee because he started...but then freaked out (even with me holding him) and said "no wee wee, no wee wee!!" And tried to climb off furiously (and consequently spraying wee on me). He obviously hadn't emptied his bladder properly, because we had an accident on the way home.

This week we installed a toddler seat onto our toilet at home. He was fine on it first thing this morning, but then since then has just about been in tears anytime we try to encourage him to sit on it. Just now he sat on it (I knew he needed to go, because he hadn't gone for ages, and he mentioned "go potty" as we were driving home), then climbed off (kicking) saying "no potty, no wee wee, no poop!" And brought his undies and pants back over to put on. Less than 2 minutes later, he was saying "uh-oh, go potty" with a ****** running down his leg. So he is absolutely fine on the little potty, just not on a toilet.

How do we tackle this in public? I'm hesitant to use pull ups or nappy pants, as I feel like it is sending mixed messages to him - that it's ok to just wee sometimes, but not other times? I've bought a Cushie Traveller folding seat but have yet to try it.

I'm more than happy to keep using the potty at home, as I want to keep encouraging to be happy and comfortable about going, but I'm so nervous about taking him out!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 started on a potty because he hated the big toilet (even with a toddler seat), so for outings I just took the potty with me. If he needed to go I just emptied it in a garden (if we were at the park or an outside car park) and wiped out with a baby wipe, or took it into the parents room for him to use instead of the toilet. I didn't force the issue of using the big toilet, he went on it when he felt comfortable. My other suggestion was going to be getting a padded portable seat to take out with you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

mummyChubbles  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that suggestion - I'm off to buy a spare potty and some antibacterial wipes to keep in the car. I've also bought the portable padded seat and might see how he goes on it - am not holding my breath for success though!! I figured he has done well to potty train so far, so if it's a potty that he will use, I might as well roll with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was the same. I bought this portable potty thing that you use with liners so easy to dispose of. I take it with me everywhere. I keep it in a bag with spare undies, spare liners, wipes and hand sanitiser. Also the potty converts to a toilet seat which is handy for when you get to that stage.
    It's been brilliant for us as there has been no pressure on my DD to use other toilets.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMoon For This Useful Post:

mummyChubbles  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a look at that - the Pottette (?) - at a baby shop today. It's my next go to option...I ended up buying a small-ish potty that should easily fit into a backpack or nappy bag. Hopefully that works. I feel like we have hit a bit of a regression this week because of his phobia of big toilets which means that he has had a couple of accidents when out and about - hopefully if I can make him comfortable by using a potty all the time rather than pushing for the toilet, we can get him back on track

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, that's it, the Pottette, sorry had a total mental blank!!
    Do whatever causes you and your LO the least amount if stress.
    Good luck!

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure he does a wee before you go out and as soon as you come home. Make outings short for now. On long car trips we take the potty with us. When at family friends houses we were lucky enough that they had potties (for their own kids).
    i wouldn't stress about the toilet. He will use it when he's ready.
    For us, we had to remove the potty as my younger ds started drinking from it. So we explained this to dd and said she has to use the big girl toilet now just like mummy does. We got a little step in there and a toilet seat. Another step for the basin to wash hands and she is very good. She was about 2.5yrs when she used the toilet. We tt her the summer she turned 2 without issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. I managed to get him a small potty that fits in my (kind of big) nappy bag and it seems to have solved the dilemma for now. We've had a small setback this week as he has had gastro, so we've had to use nappies just in case - but he's still been good at letting us know when he needs to go. Every day he kept asking if he could wear undies, so we've cautiously started him back in them