+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default If you live in southern Australia....

... How many cockroaches do you get INSIDE your house? The reason I'm specifying southern is because I'd imagine they're a lot more frequent further north.

I'm just wondering what's a normal amount to find indoors *shudder*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I live in Sydney in a house about 100 years old and we don't get any. But we get the house sprayed every year. I've never had much of a problem here. They sometimes creep in towards the end of the 12 months (mostly outside and only the big ones, not the German ones) but once it gets a spray, they're gone again.

I don't really know what the answer is as I've lived in 3 other units/houses in the last 10 years in Sydney and 2 of them were bad for cockroaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in Melbourne and I find a couple a month, if that. I'm considering getting my place sprayed as it worries me that there could me a lot more that I'm not seeing. Yuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely far more cockroaches in our house in NSW than in Qld or the ACT.

We have to make a concerted effort to keep them at bay here, whereas in NQ we rarely had any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in SA and I don't think I've ever had a cockroach inside the house. Or if so, it would be under 5 in my whole life and I've moved house a lot!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I live in SA and I don't think I've ever had a cockroach inside the house. Or if so, it would be under 5 in my whole life and I've moved house a lot!
    Same here. I just get ants, earwigs, millipedes, bee swarms, moths and spiders. Love Australia :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh yeah forgot about centipedes, we get heaps! DD is scared of them, now and then we hear a blood curdling scream, we go running and DD is standing there yelling "yucky centipede! Kill it kill it!!!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only ever found one dead one in my house, I suspect it hitched a ride in a suitcase though.... We have lots of tropical climate visitors.

The rest I've only ever seen in the leaf litter in the garden, maybe 5 max in the last 5 years.

As others have mentioned though we get heaps of millipedes, like a couple a day... Earwigs, slater beetles and even slugs. Have no idea how they get in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've lived on the south coast of NSW, Sydney and further north in the Port Stephens area and the Hunter region.

I've found the roaches have been worse the further north we go.

I have to buy new roach baits regularly to keep them at bay. A roach got fried in the toaster the other morning. Not cool. Replacement toaster has been bought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in vic and I have never seen one in my house. Have seen a lot of huntsmen though!