+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Nope. And I think you chiro is a quack and a charlottan.
    I lean toward this.

My sister was 4 months pregnant when our dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer, had surgery, recovery from surgery, chemo, another round of chemo, palliative care, hospital daily for a month after we could not care for him at home and he passed away 8 weeks before my neice was born. She was such a chilled, happy bub and at 12 is just generally a very fabulous young person.

During my pregnancy my sister was going through a very ugly divorce where she was being screwed over and leaning very heavily on me and again, my dd was a pretty cruisy bub and is pretty awesome too . Only 2 examples but thats all I've got.

Chiropractors are good at fixing backs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't believe so at all..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was under the impression that significant, ongoing stress while pregnant can certainly impact a baby....but that is just going by what I remember learning about the topic at uni. I will have a look for some references tomorrow.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP - perhaps all those things did affect you in the womb, but as an adult, we take the hand that is dealt us, we apply our adult reasoning and knowledge to it to overcome it.

We are not created in stone in the womb, never to change or learn or strive to be better, we keep growing and changing our whole lives.

I really question exactly what 'good' this technique is supposed to be doing, dredging up stuff which supposedly happened in the womb. Do you feel 'better' for having been told this by this chiro? Seems pretty unnecessary to me, and probably a ploy by him/her to encourage repeat business, or some kind of professional dependence on this 'technique'

To be clear, I believe in counselling and some body techniques, but the way they are used by some practitioners I feel is very unprofessional.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 27-07-2014 at 07:22.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-07-2014),atomicmama  (27-07-2014),Full House  (28-07-2014),Redcorset  (27-07-2014),Stretched  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like you have a lot to process from these chiro visits. You may find that a psychologist is better equipped to help you make sense of this as they have specific training in this area and their practice is based on evidence.

Both animal and human research has found evidence that prenatal maternal stress may impact on a child's development. We don't know yet if these effects are ongoing or how much of an influence they have, relative to other aspects of an individual's circumstances. It's a very new area, and much more research needs to be done before we can conclude anything. It's also a complex one to research, as it can be difficult to disentangle prenatal stress from genetics and stress in the postnatal environment (which we know can affect children's development). The good news is that there is also evidence that sensitive and responsive parenting may buffer or reverse these effects, which I find really exciting.

It's important to remember that research is based on patterns across large groups of people, so we can never conclude that a certain thing has caused or definitely contributed to a particular outcome. An individual may experience certain risk factors and not be affected at all due to their own resilience.

If it helps you to make sense of things to take this info on board, go for it, but it's up to you how much weight you put on this, especially since there are SO MANY other experiences and factors that influence our development.
    Last edited by ABigDeepBreath; 27-07-2014 at 07:49.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe that any research would probably find a correlation, however I believe causality would be a lot harder to pinpoint.

Generally, the impact of a big event (death, war etc) on a parent/community doesn't go away in 9 months time. It will have an impact on the care the child receives, thus its emotional development.

In the case where there is a family history of anxiety, pregnancy can trigger this in the mother or worsen preexisting anxiety. The child may then have anxiety at some point but that could be genetic or learned. It would be hard to determine the exact impact of the in utero anxiety as it is not in isolation from genetics and an anxious parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I'm not sure if I believe it affects babies in later life but I definitely do believe that stress can adversely affect the pregnancy itself. I was hospitalized three times during my pregnancy due to premature labour. Each one the medical staff believes was brought on due to external stresses.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This.

Regardless of whether it does or not, I think you need to limit your chiro to what they're actually qualified to do and seek a psychologist

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what I've read, yes, severe stress (such as the death of a spouse or loved one, living in a war zone, domestic violence etc) has been shown to have an effect on the developing brain, in utero and out. Check out a book called "do chocolate lovers have sweeter babies?" By Jena Pincott- all evidence based, she is a science writer.

"This book taps into the fascinating new field of epigenetics, the influence of environment on the behavior of genes. Recent studies in this emerging science reveal how blood sugar, stress and hormone levels, exposure to toxins, and even certain experiences alter how an unborn baby’s genes behave without changing their underlying sequence."

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/lo...sweeter-babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify he does not know a thing about my mums pregnancy. All he could tell was vulnerability stemming back to being in the womb. I thought of the other stuff myself and have only discussed it with my sister and on here.

Does it make me feel better....actually yes. Hard to explain. I don't think I really need a psych at the moment. Just knowing ia enough for me. It's like that stuck emotion has gone and things make sense.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into this while pregnant and unfortunately actual research (ie not just opinions) has shown that maternal stress and anxiety is likely to affect the baby.

Just remember that like anything involving human biology and behaviour, increased risk is not a guarantee and there are so many other factors that also influence the baby's outcome one way or the other.