+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sure that high stress during pregnancy can affect bub to an extent but, I think the fact that you know your mom considered aborting you must have affected you in some way even if it's only very deep down and you don't even realise it. Very sorry to hear your dad passed before you got to meet him, that's terrible for all three of you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    This is a really interesting but sad subject. When we were doing ivf we asked our FS if stress would change giving birth to a happy healthy baby and he said it would have no effect. It's a shame that's been proven wrong. Poor baby's are stressed before they're even born!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure tbh but I had a lot going on with my first pregnancy, dh had a work accident so financially it was a terrible time and then we moved, we weren't sure what was going for a while. It was a very stressful time for us but ds was and is fine. And with this pregnancy I had a lot of anxiety early pregnancy worrying about the nuchal scan thinking we would have a repeat of our second pregnancy and then I got a virus and we had a worrying few months until baby had the all clear and then I hurt my back at work a few weeks ago and had to stop work early so all in all it's been a terrible pregnancy emotionally, I've been quite stressed for most if it and very emotional. Who knows if bubs gets affected in utero, I'm guessing the that regardless, once they are born they will adjust to the world around them then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mother firmly believes that maternal stress or anxiety can upset bub in utero and externally via bm. I'm a little more reserved in my opinion but do believe that babies are extremely intuitive and can pick up on external factors very quickly. We often see it when parents get flustered for whatever reason bub cries more than usual.

I would be interested in reading any research on this. Hopefully that might lead to better funding for ante natal mental health illnesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely believe that stress affects babies in utero. Studies have been done on stress affects on babies following extreme events eg: Sep 11 attacks, or general heightened stress and anxiety for other reasons. There are lots of papers about it. Epigenetics is a fairly new area of research and is pretty interesting.

I am not convinced of this NET thing though, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. I work in child protection and see the impact of domestic violence in utero on the children in my program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason I believe that the net thing works is Whilst I knew I have anxiety I always only ever drew it back to my teen years when mum was alcoholic. Not once did I think about mums pregnancy with me. This NET however drew that out and now a lot clicks especially the vulnerability.
    As for resenting my husband... Haven't quite figured that out. His daughter (15) has just come back to live with us last week. Not ideal as she is extremely troubled and he is quite ignorant and lacks parenting and discipline techniques so I do partially blame him for her troubles. I knew I felt angry about it but not resentful. Now I look back on the vulnerability of me and wonder if it's all to do with the fact I never had a father. And I resent his actions on what he allowed his daughter to do and now she is the one suffering? I think too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. And I think you chiro is a quack and a charlottan.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-07-2014),Purple Lily  (26-07-2014),RastaMouse  (27-07-2014),RipperRita  (27-07-2014),SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they do have an affect. My FIL died during my pregnancy and my fluid levels dropped and DD stopped growing for a couple of weeks. I haven't read any research on the long term effects though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure if I believe it affects babies in later life but I definitely do believe that stress can adversely affect the pregnancy itself. I was hospitalized three times during my pregnancy due to premature labour. Each one the medical staff believes was brought on due to external stresses.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app