+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you get an Ergo carrier or another one like this? Sell the Bjorn to some other unsuspecting person. Lol they aren't good for anyone :/
    Have you got a swing? I have a few friends who couldn't live without one with their babies.
    He sounds just like my first. I didn't have a swing or a carrier because 16 yrs ago those things weren't readily available to me. Luckily for me I had my mother just about living with me doing everything. Sadly not everyone has that luxury.
    He will get upset if he's crying yeh that's ok though, he won't break or suffer any damage if you're just making a sandwich or going to the loo.
    If you purposely left him to cry for over ten mins yeh he might get some damage, newborns can't cry it out, but that's obviously not the case.
    Maybe also google high needs baby, at least you will know you're not alone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good, I'd really encourage it. Even if it doesn't seem like he's settling straight away give it some time, go for a walk (will do you good too) or just do laps of the house.

Does your DH leave for work crazy early or will you be up when he leaves? If so, give DS to him while you quickly have a shower, put on clean clothes and have something to eat/prepare some food for the day. I never used to be a morning shower person but am religiously now! Even after rough nights it resets me enough to face the day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a bouncer? I used to put DS in his a lot when he was tiny. Ours had a vibrate function which he seemed to like. I could leave him in there while I showered or went to the toilet.
    I also made sure I had heaps of "easy" food, stuff that didn't need much preparation and could be eaten with one hand. In the very early weeks I actually used to have a tupperware container with all my snacks in it that I could easily grab from while I was feeding him.
    If I was desperate for a shower and DS wouldn't settle I used to just bring him in with me. I couldn't really wash properly while I was holding him obviously but I figured it was better than no shower at all, plus bub LOVED the warm water and would sometimes fall asleep in there, and then I could just wrap him in his towel and sit him in the bouncer while I showered properly (make sure the room is nice and warm though).

I had problems getting DS to stop crying at first too, I had no idea what he wanted a lot of the time and then one day when we were at my mums she suggested that he was crying because he was tired. Turns out she was right and I hadn't realised how much sleep he needed. So I started rocking him to sleep whenever he got really upset. He never slept long at first but it gave me a little break

It's hard in the first few weeks. I was lucky DF got to stay home for a month with us but it is really hard being on your own. I couldn't wait to hand him over at the end of the day so I could have a cup of tea while it was still hot

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont have a swing or a bouncer but looks like I might have to get one

Does anyone know if a baby can stay in a hugabub all day? Are they easy to put on, take off & get a squirmy baby in & out of unassisted?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I dont have a swing or a bouncer but looks like I might have to get one

Does anyone know if a baby can stay in a hugabub all day? Are they easy to put on, take off & get a squirmy baby in & out of unassisted?

Yes they can! The first couple of times putting it on can be a bit confusing because it's a 5m long piece of fabric - but once you have it figured out it is SO easy. The best part is you just tie it on in the morning and leave it on all day, taking babe in and out as needed. They are perfect for a newborn. This is what I use at home.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A swing and an awesome carrier are musts! I love my Beco Gemini. My DD used to calm down the second she was put in it.
    Remember if wont last forever and every first time feels like they have no idea.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks, ill try one!

I'll also have to figure out how to get some sleep during the day - at the moment DS feeds for about an hour & then I have to settle him & hold him till he's completely asleep otherwise he'll just wake up again & then by the time ive put him down in his bassinet he's almost ready for his next feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in my hugabub when DD2 was a newbie! I wore it all day and just popped her in and out when she needed it (which was a lot). I also used the swing when I needed a break for a shower/lunch etc.

Try your local Facebook buy swap sell page, I always see swings going cheap that way you're not forking heaps out for one that may not be the right one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a stretchy wrap similar to a hugabub. Most mornings I put my 5 week old in it so I can get a few things done around the house. She usually has a little cry when I put her in it then goes straight to sleep! It's a godsend - I also walk to the shops with her in it so I can have both hands free. It's easy to wrap, just watched a couple of videos on YouTube & feels super secure. You can also sit down with bub in the wrap so I often have a cuppa or lunch wearing her too. I would highly recommend borrowing one if you can. My sister's boy had most of his daytime naps in a wrap - I think it's ok as long as they have their hips positioned correctly. Maybe you could join a local baby wearing group? They often have sling libraries so you can try different things.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of good advice here. I remember crying when DH returned to work at 5 weeks and DD wouldn't settle for me. Then at 6 weeks a magic switch went off and DD just became easier. Most people say babies get easier between 6-8 weeks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post: