+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Headaches - please help, I am desperate

I am in my 2nd trimester and have been getting terrible tension headaches every day and I can't take it any more.

I wake up with a stiff neck and a headache. I have tried:

-Changing pillows
    -Deep breathing and relaxation
    -Massage
    -Heat packs
    -Ice packs
    -Anti-stress shower gel (aromatherapy)
    -Resting
    -Gentle stretching and yoga moves for back/neck/shoulders
    -Drinking tons of water

I can't take ibuprofen and paracetamol is not recommended. I caved in and took it once but I think I stressed so much about it that it was counter-productive. I have looked into migrastick but that is not recommended for pregnant women.

A few of the above things bring temporary relief but nothing that lasts.

At my wits end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    DP suffers from really bad tension headaches and migraines. The thing that helps her most is to put an icepack on the back of her neck/head and sit in a really hot bath with her hands and feet in the hot water. She also swears by a magnesium supplement in headache prevention.

Definitely go to the doctor and explain this to her. I'm sure they have pregnancy friendly medication to help with your headaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Im a remedial massage therapist... I should strongly sugest trying another massage therapist.. (they aren't all on the same levels..) ask for a Remedial Diploma Qualified therapist at least.
    Also I agree with above.. Magnesium is a huge saver.. your baby Zaps it out of you and it has a lot to do with muscular tension.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can take paracetamol in pregnancy, just no nurofen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get headaches frequently and while they are better I've had a run of them the last week or so.

First off make sure you have had your bp checked and you have no other concerning symptoms like swelling in hands and feet or flashing lights/blurry vision.

If that's fine, paracetamol (panadol) is very safe and can be taken regularly without concern. I'd combine that with the other things you've already been trying, heat packs and massage are often the best.

The other thing that helped me previously was acupuncture. There are therapists trained in pregnancy treatments. Not for everyone but might be worth a try if your desperate.

I often find it's about breaking the cycle of the headache. So taking panadol and having a massage, drinking lots of water and getting a good nights sleep, then keeping on top of it by looking after yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get the same and midwife said only paracetamol. Nothing with codiene or ibuprofen. Panadol osteo is stronger then normal Panadol by 100mg

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like others have said get checked out in case there is a physical reason for the headaches.

You're already doing a lot of the right things! And you can take paracetamol(Panadol) if the pain is really hard to manage (unless your healthcare provider has said otherwise). Have you ever tried mindfulness? That would be my only other suggestion . Hope they ease for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    I get the same and midwife said only paracetamol. Nothing with codiene or ibuprofen. Panadol osteo is stronger then normal Panadol by 100mg

💜 DD1 aka Peanut 💜 Due 28.10.14
    Panadol osteo is stronger but you can only take it 3 times a day not 4. Codeine us classed as category a for pregnancy so regarded as safe - my dr had no probs with me being on it last week for my sinus headaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from migraines and when I was pregnant it was a real struggle.
    My dr worked out via my weight how many panadol/nurofen I could have at once.
    I can take 4 x 500mg panadol tablets with 2 x 300mg nurofen tablets at the same time and I only had to take it once and my headaches were pretty well managed for the rest of the day.

Perhaps talk to your gp and see if they can work out the maximum for you?
    Only do it after talking with your dr though.

Edit to add: I thought nurofen was only advised against in the 3rd trimester?
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 25-07-2014 at 12:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I thought panadol was out after some quick googling. I'll still try to limit it as I don't like taking painkillers anyway.

I have some magnesium supplements so I will start taking those.

The massage does help, but only until the next day, I wake up again full of tension. It's also hard to find a place that won't insist I lay on my stomach. I will look into remedial massage.