+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with others that it may just be that he isn't as interested in some of the activities you have chosen.
    Also even though he may have been swapping houses between you and your ex for some time now, he may be going through some issues with the exchanges and learning to adjust to this as he gets older and more aware of how the world works.

Some suggestions that may help (if you don't do so already)
    Let him take as much time as he needs when he arrives at your place to settle in, go to his room and feel comfortable with the change of houses before beginning any major conversations or discussions on what the day holds.
    Just give him some quiet time to settle and let him know when he is ready he can come and have a chat and hug etc.
    (A little like when you arrive in a new destination on holiday, you just want a minute to put your bags down and gather yourself before you jet off to a day trip etc)

Perhaps ask him to help you write out on small note paper some ideas and activities you can do together for when he comes over. Just some ideas..

Movie day at home
    Arcade
    Kicking the footy
    Swimming
    Beach
    Riding bikes
    Planting herb garden
    Making a 3d model
    Loom bands
    Baking
    Going for a walk
    Go out for hot chocolates
    Shopping for clothes
    Playing wii games
    Board games
    Visit to library
    Cinema trip
    Watch the planes come into land
    Visit pet store
    Wash the cars together
    Collect bugs in a microscope/bug catcher
    Bubble blowing
    Trampoline play

And of course some of his ideas on what he likes to do and has fun with.

Then put all the notes into a jar. Each weekend before he goes home, he gets to take one note out and that's something you will do the following weekend he comes over.

Theory being that he has a bit more ownership of what's coming up since he helped to plan and chose the activity as well as gives him plenty of time to prepare himself (and hopefully get excited) for what's coming up.

Hope things start to settle for you so you can all enjoy your time together a bit more!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (26-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely been there with SS @DonM77 so I feel your pain and frustration. What other posts have said is right - the things you've chosen to do with him simply may not be things that he's interested in and that's OK. Mind you, it's great to open their eyes to new things as well.

We went through this with SS at roughly the same age and we just kept trying different things until he either got used to them and started to enjoy them, or we hit on something that he really liked. It was hard because DH and I are outdoors people and SS just wasn't accustomed to doing a lot of the things that we love to do.

For example, SS hated camping the first time we took him (and we love it) - complained the whole time about no TV/computer games and that he would prefer to stay in a resort. But the next few times we just chose more interesting or different locations where there was likely to be kids his age that he could spend some time with, or there was wildlife for him to watch. We take the time to learn a lot about the places we like to go so we can tell SS about them in advance and get him excited about going in the lead up, and he has grown to love it.

He was a little bit the same with bushwalking but with gradual exposure and really taking the time to engage him in his surrounds, now he and his Dad are planning overnight hikes together (he's 13 now).

At 7, SS was really into Indiana Jones so we'd try to take him to places that were interesting for him to explore - caves, creeks, rock formations, waterfalls. That was how we first really got him enthusiastic about bushwalking - there's a national park near us where you can walk under a waterfall. Of course SS would love to stand under the water for ages and get soaked through, even in mid-winter, but seeing him laughing and having a great time was worth carting around a complete change of clothes and a towel.

He also loved dinosaurs and fossils so we've taken him fossicking a few times and we've been lucky enough to find some pretty interesting specimens too.

If we asked SS what he'd like to do he'd say - go to the museum or the movies or play a board game or go for a bike ride. And that's fine too. We also used to play a lot of tiggy and hide-and-seek at the local playground/park - got DH and I quite fit in the process.

Ask him what he wants to do and do some of the stuff that he likes but also mix it up by trying different things as well. Some kids say they don't like particular things even when they've never tried them. SS was very risk-averse/anxious so trying new things that put him out of his comfort zone was tricky. We had to do a lot of upselling of activities in advance before he'd eventually say, yes, he was willing to try it. We've had to take it slow but he's gotten much better in that way over the years.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

deku  (26-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm of two minds with this, part of me thinks maybe choosing activities the seven year old likes to do but on the other side of the coin sulking the entire time because it's not what he wants isn't ok either.

Maybe try middle ground and choose something your son likes to do and then choose a short activity you want as well so your son is learning he sometimes has to things that you like as well?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crystal4431 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (26-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about movies, a video game/laser tag centre, go-karts? Have you tried taking him without your girlfriend, maybe he wants some quality time alone with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DP and I are a blended family with 5 kids between us....imagine trying to find activities that all 5 enjoy!! Haha, not a chance. DP's 13 year old is a little bit like your DS. He's into intellectual stuff, he reads heaps and sometimes plays his iPod (we limit time though, he can't just play it all day).

When we take all the kids out, we invariably have at least one or two kids not totally enjoying it as they all have different interests. I'd try and find an activity he enjoys as it sounds like he's not the outdoorsy type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    Have you tried taking him without your girlfriend, maybe he wants some quality time alone with you?
    Actually this is a really good point, and something that I'm always aware of as a step mum. It's really important for boys to have time with just their Dads, doing boy stuff.

I'm not saying it always has to be just you and him, but each weekend it would be good to plan some time that's just the two of you. Hopefully your girlfriend won't be offended.

Also agree with @crystal4431 that sulking because he hasn't gotten his own way is not OK. That used to do my head in when we'd worked hard all week and just wanted to spend some enjoyable family time together. It's finding that happy medium - balancing what he wants to do with what you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 7 year old is the same at the moment. If he isn't in front of a computer, he isn't happy. It doesn't matter if we are at the beach, at a museum or at a birthday party. However, I am not going to let him sit in front of a screen all weekend, just because that is what he wants to do. He gets his set amount of time each day and then he has to join in with what the rest of the family want to do. As I have told him before, "It can't always be about you".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    Actually this is a really good point, and something that I'm always aware of as a step mum. It's really important for boys to have time with just their Dads, doing boy stuff.

I'm not saying it always has to be just you and him, but each weekend it would be good to plan some time that's just the two of you. Hopefully your girlfriend won't be offended.
    My DP and I both make sure we each spend some time with just our own kids (he's got 3 boys and I've got DS & DD). We do spend a lot of time as a big family, but it's important to give your kids some time without their step parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Are you asking him what he would like to do or are you planning activities yourself for him? My DS is 7 as well, and he knows his own mind. He has likes and dislikes and his own interests.
    Yes of course, I either get IDK or the typical lets play xbox. His mother is a homebody so it may be he takes after her. He likes going on rides at the boardwalk, bowling and video games. You can only bowl and do rides so much hence the reason for introducing him to other activies.

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Some kids hate outdoor stuff like that. Why not make his time with you fun doing stuff he wants to do. Research his like and see what you can do together. Spend time in his world. You will find that he will open up more to you if you sitting on the floor playing his favorite game, talking and laughing than you ever will at the beach if he hates that. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. Let him teach you something.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    We dedicate x amount of time watching movies and playing games already.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    I agree with others that it may just be that he isn't as interested in some of the activities you have chosen.
    Also even though he may have been swapping houses between you and your ex for some time now, he may be going through some issues with the exchanges and learning to adjust to this as he gets older and more aware of how the world works.

This doesn't appear to be an issue, he's adjusted well.

Some suggestions that may help (if you don't do so already)
    Let him take as much time as he needs when he arrives at your place to settle in, go to his room and feel comfortable with the change of houses before beginning any major conversations or discussions on what the day holds.
    Just give him some quiet time to settle and let him know when he is ready he can come and have a chat and hug etc.
    (A little like when you arrive in a new destination on holiday, you just want a minute to put your bags down and gather yourself before you jet off to a day trip etc)

Perhaps ask him to help you write out on small note paper some ideas and activities you can do together for when he comes over. Just some ideas..

Movie day at home
    Arcade
    Kicking the footy
    Swimming
    Beach
    Riding bikes
    Planting herb garden
    Making a 3d model
    Loom bands
    Baking
    Going for a walk
    Go out for hot chocolates
    Shopping for clothes
    Playing wii games
    Board games
    Visit to library
    Cinema trip
    Watch the planes come into land
    Visit pet store
    Wash the cars together
    Collect bugs in a microscope/bug catcher
    Bubble blowing
    Trampoline play

And of course some of his ideas on what he likes to do and has fun with.

Then put all the notes into a jar. Each weekend before he goes home, he gets to take one note out and that's something you will do the following weekend he comes over.

Theory being that he has a bit more ownership of what's coming up since he helped to plan and chose the activity as well as gives him plenty of time to prepare himself (and hopefully get excited) for what's coming up.

Hope things start to settle for you so you can all enjoy your time together a bit more!
    Good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    What about movies, a video game/laser tag centre, go-karts? Have you tried taking him without your girlfriend, maybe he wants some quality time alone with you?
    Most of the activities we do are without my gf. He acts the same with or without her, so that isn't the issue.

At this point, I can't allow him to play games all weekend. Im trying to show him there are many things in life aside from games. I try getting him involved in sports, but he's simply not interested. Unfortunately there isn't much left to introduce him to.
    Last edited by DonM77; 26-07-2014 at 00:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, he can't accuse you of not trying!

I think it's great that you're trying so hard to entertain him, but don't be afraid of having quiet weekends where you just bum around relaxing and not doing much. I think sometimes kids need to experience boredom which makes them create their own fun. We often just let the kids play (no tv, no games). It forces them to get creative and think for themselves. I don't think we need to CONSTANTLY amuse kids.