+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 year old son is extremely difficult

Hello, my sons mother and I have been div for more than 2 years and I see my son every other weekend. So when I see him I always try and plan something fun for us to do. Unfortunately his idea of fun is watching tv or playing video games. Most recently my gf and I took him to he beach, instead of playing and having fun he sat with his head down staring at he sand for most of the afternoon.

Yesterday I took him to a baseball game and he was down right miserable. Again, he spent most of the time looking down acting as though I'd tortured him the whole time.

As you can imagine, this can be very frustrating and it's getting to the point I can't take him anywhere because he acts this way. It can also be embarrassing to in public places.

Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Are you asking him what he would like to do or are you planning activities yourself for him? My DS is 7 as well, and he knows his own mind. He has likes and dislikes and his own interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Are you asking him what he would like to do or are you planning activities yourself for him? My DS is 7 as well, and he knows his own mind. He has likes and dislikes and his own interests.
    On one hand i agree on the other I think it's vitally important he learns to have fun away from the screen.
    My 12 yr old Bil has been infront of screens since 2. He now won't do anything else and is a down right pita if you do. We took him out for breakfast the other week and he just winged the whole time about when can he get home to play his games

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Some kids hate outdoor stuff like that. Why not make his time with you fun doing stuff he wants to do. Research his like and see what you can do together. Spend time in his world. You will find that he will open up more to you if you sitting on the floor playing his favorite game, talking and laughing than you ever will at the beach if he hates that. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. Let him teach you something.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (25-07-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (26-07-2014),smallpotatoes  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My kids are not the outdoorsy types. They love museums, movies, gaming arcades, swimming pool, planetarium ect.

Why not try an aviation museum, science museum or military museum?

My kids would probably cry if they just went to a beach or fishing and they would hate a sporting match. Different people like differant things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    On one hand i agree on the other I think it's vitally important he learns to have fun away from the screen.
    My 12 yr old Bil has been infront of screens since 2. He now won't do anything else and is a down right pita if you do. We took him out for breakfast the other week and he just winged the whole time about when can he get home to play his games
    I'm not saying he should just be allowed to watch tv or games all weekend. But maybe giving his son the option to choose an activity may help with his interest levels.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-07-2014),peanutmonkey  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whilst it may seem like he is ungrateful and difficult, he is probably simply bored by the outings you have chosen to take him on. Some kids just aren't outdoorsy types.

He might prefer outings like going out for ice cream followed by a gaming arcade or going to the movies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with pp. Just because you like that kinda stuff doesn't mean your son does. Ask him what he wants to do or choose something more suited to his likes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Your son seems to be old enough to know what he likes and what he doesn't. Just ask him what he wants to do.

Maybe he has a hobby you can do together? If he isn't the sporty, outdoorsy type maybe he'd like to craft a model boat for you to sail together or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I agree with pp's, my almost 7 year old wouldn't be impressed if I made him sit through a basketball game or if we went to the beach. They just aren't things he enjoys. If we went and saw a movie he was interested in, went to timezone or similar, to a playground, go karting, for a hike through national park, etc. He would thoroughly enjoy it.
    I think trying to find some middle ground is the way to go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app