+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any point partial toilet training young?

My twins are only 13 months old. They make a big fuss when they are about to pooh (they think it's pretty funny to grunt etc whenever poohs are coming). So I'm thinking it would be really easy to pop them on a potty or toilet to do it as I always get warning. However they are not walking and I wouldn't be trying to train for wees so is it really worth it??

I apologise for my ignorance but I have no idea about this sort of thing, or even when toddlers normally start toilet training. Can anyone advise whether there would be any point to this, or should I just wait and train properly later?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my little girl early, and it did help. I ended up training her properly at 18 months, and she already knew what the potty was, and what to do. I think that, if I hadn't done any early training, I might have waited a bit longer to train her properly, but it was fairly easy, since we were half way there already.

One thing to consider is that lots of kids learn to wee on the potty but are frightened to poo there. Maybe if your twins experience pooing on the potty early, you won't have this problem? It also means you won't have to change pooey nappies anymore, which has to be a plus! As long as it's all fun and no pressure, I think training early can be helpful.

If you google "elimination communication" - you'll find the pros and cons of starting early.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

debsch  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it does help I believe. As PP said check elimination communication. I started EC from newborn and had no issues toilet training at 18 months as he was familiar with the toilet and eliminating into it, no fear of it.

Also, just the sheer fact of saving on nappies whether using cloth or disposable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to pop my girls on the toilet (with an insert) from 6-7mths old when I saw a poo face. Saved me on loads od poopy nappies.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One of my children basically insisted on doing poo's on the toilet from 16 months. It was great. I never had to change a stinky nappy from 16 months! She would make a big fuss is I would try to put a nappy on her, so once I figured out what was going on I started putting her on the toilet, and taught her how to say poo so she could tell me what was going on.

However, she was my most difficult to fully toilet train! She was in undies months earlier than my other two kids but would deliberately wet herself until she was almost 4 years old (it was a psychological thing).
    I'd still sit her on the toilet at 16 months if I had my time again, but it certainly didn't make toilet training easier! However, some kids have a real fear of pooping in the toilet, so at least you'd eliminate that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you know for sure a poop is coming it just makes sense to me to take off their pants and get the poop in a potty/toilet. Saves cleaning up a smooshy poopy bum and saves a nappy. And they may or may not be easier to toilet train later on, but at least (as PPs have mentioned) they will get used to pooping in a potty instead of pooping in their pants and you shouldn't have poop issues to deal with when they are older.

Here's a pinned bubhub post on EC:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-Communication

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I encouraged my twins to use a potty or the toilet when ever they appeared to be interested. they had an older brother to sort of follow. but so far as toilet training, it was still not until they were sleeping dry overnight, that I would have any real success. I think that the average child is toilet trained about 2 and that it makes not a lot of difference when you start. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe it's a cultural thing but in my extended family, babies are started on the potty really young. We started sitting our little one on the potty at 7 months (first thing in the morning, before/after naps and just before bed) - sometimes it got results, sometimes it didn't. But it definitely familiarized him with it.

At 20 months he was doing #2s in there almost all the time (with the exception of early morning ones in the nappy, if we didn't get up early enough!), and at 22 months, he is now potty trained and tells us when he needs to go.

This is our first child, so I'm not sure what the "norm" is for toilet training, but none of the other kids in our playgroup or mothers' group are trained yet - so in our case, yes it did lead to earlier potty training. So much so that we have already said that we will follow the same pattern of early potty familiarization with #2 when they arrive

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

debsch  (27-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post
    Maybe it's a cultural thing but in my extended family, babies are started on the potty really young. We started sitting our little one on the potty at 7 months (first thing in the morning, before/after naps and just before bed) - sometimes it got results, sometimes it didn't. But it definitely familiarized him with it.

At 20 months he was doing #2s in there almost all the time (with the exception of early morning ones in the nappy, if we didn't get up early enough!), and at 22 months, he is now potty trained and tells us when he needs to go.

This is our first child, so I'm not sure what the "norm" is for toilet training, but none of the other kids in our playgroup or mothers' group are trained yet - so in our case, yes it did lead to earlier potty training. So much so that we have already said that we will follow the same pattern of early potty familiarization with #2 when they arrive
    This was us with both our girls for the same reasons.