+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kids birthday party - please help!

DS1 is six in three weeks time.
    He really wants a party.
    He's got low expectations and really just wants to have his mates around to go a bit wild.
    BUT...I'm in a tizz about it.

Firstly, we're not doing a play centre or anything like that because it's far too expensive.
    Inviting the whole class seems to be the done thing (annoying when DS doesn't talk to the girls bar two tomboys) and from other parties we've gone to, everyone shows up...so with a head count of 25 you're talking over $500 without a cake and other trimmings.
    Insanity!

Secondly, were in a rental.
    It's not a pretty sight.
    The kitchen being the worst room of the house and I really don't want strangers in here.
    That's my biggest issue.
    And it is an issue, it takes me time to let people in, it's a big deal to me to have people into my living space but I don't want to let me son down because of my silliness.
    If I could rely on weather then we could easily have a garden party because while the house isn't great, the garden is fantastic. I suppose that's my question.
    Would you plan an outdoor party for the middle of August?
    Am I mad, what if it's bucketing down?

I was thinking of a bouncy castle, few sweets and games .
    Two hours tops.
    Do I have to feed parents who decide to stay with their children?

Anyone got any other ideas?
    Anyone like me, a bit of a social knob and have had to do stuff that was making you uneasy, just for your child's happiness.
    This will be his first party so I've managed to get away with it thus far but ye know, school ruins everything haha

I must sound like a real weirdo but I'm actually nervous about this. I haven't organised a thingy yet and time is ticking by so fast.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    to be honest - by the time you pay for a bouncy castle and food, you are better off just having 10 kids or so and having it at a playcentre.

Other than that - is there a park near you that has an undercover area?

where are you (state/city?)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    If you're anxious about having it at your house why not a local park with a bbq? Get there really early and stake out a spot with Balloons. Have a sausage sizzle and some cake, a few party hats, the kids can play on the play ground equipment and wear themselves out.

Or you could just tell your son to pick 3 of his closest friends and you could take them to the movies and lunch, or you could take them to a trampolining centre or a 'Rowdy rascals' indoor play centre.

I don't see why you'd have to invite the entire class, even if they invited you.

I hope you can work it out.

But I'm always a fan of a BBQ Good luck OP! Hopefully other posters are a bit better with these things than I am.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-07-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi phony, I think the bouncing castle thing will be a bit expensive. I think organising the park/outside area is fine, but put on the invite, no other option if the weather is bad. I would not invite the whole class. that is foolish, and pretty unmanageable. I would try for only five or six friends, and a definite time limit. you want your boy to have a good time, but you don't need to put too much stress on yourself or your finances. marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whole class? No way! As for parents staying at the age of 6, most parents take the opportunity to run away! I often get 'drop and go' written on the invites. I had the cheapest movie party last year. 6 mates, lunch at McD's and an awesome lolly bag. All up it cost me $120 plus a cake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love planning kids parties and have done at home, park and am doing a play centre for the first time this year -
    If it is stressing you doing it at home then I would definitely do a park party but either morning or afternoon tea so it's more party/ finger food than lunch ( cheaper and less stress!) August is cold but normally not that rainy but yes put pending rain on the invite but if you could find a park with some covered areas would be great as 6 year olds would not care about a bit of rain!

I would invite the whole class - or at least all the boys if he does not know/ play with the girls as it is his first party and at a park it won't cost you that much more to cater - most parents if they don't know you and especially in kindy do stay so at a park I would provide a cheese platter for them - there are heaps of games you could organise and if you had a theme you could base it all around that !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is it not bad form to not include everyone?
    There's been at least 4 parties this year and DS1 got an invite to all of them, though he didn't go to all of them.

Would some of the kids not feel excluded if ten of them are talking about a party they all went to over the weekend?
    I'd feel bad about it but at the same time I've gone through the list of children that he actually plays with. 7 boys and 2 girls.
    The rest in the class (10 more) are girls and I don't even know their faces let alone their parents.

I actually don't mind the drop and go part. I'd prefer it to be honest.
    Our garden is very secure so parents wouldn't have to worry about children escaping or anything.
    Just a bad time of the year to rely on weather I suppose.

Just priced bouncy castles, yep..madness.,
    I had a look at a Spiderman entertainer too.
    $200 for half an hour?

Does anyone have old school type of birthday parties any more?

From memory we were happy to be sat in front of a table full of sweets and told to dig in
    We made our own entertainment and theres heaps of family videos of just that, lots of giggles and fun.
    I don't think the kids expect much really so where does this need to keep them occupied come from.
    I know all DS1 is asking for is for his friends over and to have a run around.
    How would I go about inviting the mates he plays with around without the other kids getting wind of it and being upset?
    Private message the parents?
    Invitations to the parents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Elijahs Mum, only saw your post after I posted my response

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Considering we're over half way through the year and you say there have only been 4 parties so far that he has been invited to, then I would assume there have already been other parties without everyone invited.. so I totally wouldn't worry about not inviting the whole class!

If all the kids you invite are friends and play together anyway, I'm sure they'll have fun whatever they do.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-07-2014),Phony  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah true, and the ones we don't invite he wouldn't want to go to their parties anyway, them all being girls.