+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I should also mention (lol so many mentions) that I'm a mature student and I've never studied in Australia so I have to take an atar/vetassess and I'm quietly freaking out about my ability to handle formal study. I wonder if I should do some kind of foundation course to prepare myself.
    Hi Gothel

As I mentioned in your other thread, I do think that doing a short (3-6 month) certificate 3 to become an AIN first would be a good option, for a few reasons.
    1) 3 years is a big commitment - and I would hate for someone to commit and then realise that it isn't for them
    2) it's a nice introduction back to study iykwim, not hard, bit cruisy but still has deadlines, classes etc
    3) you will definitely be able to work as an AIN, no debate
    4) it will count towards your uni application, so you may not need the vet assess thingo.

Just my two cents.

I'm an EN, studying my RN. By doing the AIN>EN>RN route, I've added a year to my degree (EN diploma takes a year off the bachelor) but I've been able to work the whole time and I've really got a good grip on things as I go if that makes sense - so things like showering, giving meds, making beds, time management, communication - none of this will be an issue when I finish uni because I've been doing it for years.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM if you have any questions

ETA - one downside of doing it this way. Because I have a stable job that I'm happy with, I don't have that 'push' to finish that I used to iykwim? Past few weeks have been busy busy busy and I've been thinking occasionally 'but I have a job, do I really need to keep going?'. Just a thought if you think motivation may be an issue
    Last edited by SeymourTheBear; 25-07-2014 at 01:33.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks @SeymourTheBear, I did look into that because of your post but I don't know if I could handle the work. But everything you say is very logical, I might look at other certs in the health care line. It's avery validpoint you make about work killing the motivation to study! Thanks
    Last edited by Gothel; 25-07-2014 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Thanks @SeymourTheBear, I did look into that because of your post but I don't know if I could handle the work. But everything you say is very logical, I might look at other certs in the health care line. It's avery validpoint you make about work killing the motivation to study! Thanks
    Was just a thought - but anyway that suits you is a good way.
    It is hard work, some days I think my feet are going to fall off!

You seem like such a nice person, I'm sure you'll be an awesome nurse no matter which way you get there!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with it all @Gothel....it's so full on contemplating a new career!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

SeymourTheBear  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    Was just a thought - but anyway that suits you is a good way.
    It is hard work, some days I think my feet are going to fall off!

You seem like such a nice person, I'm sure you'll be an awesome nurse no matter which way you get there!
    Awww shucks thanks @SeymourTheBear that's a lovely thing to say But I think it's dealing with oodles of poo that puts me off. Years ago I spent a few months as a relief carer for a dementia patient so I know what's involved to an extent. Though if I'm going to nurse I probably need to get used to such things! But you're totally right in that AIN or similar is a good entry point without making a huge commitment. Everyone but EVERYONE says RN is the way to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    It certainly is! Thanks for all your help and advice @silverFlute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    It certainly is! Thanks for all your help and advice @silverFlute

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Silver flute  (25-07-2014)