+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    While in your grad year you are given lots of support from your employer. You get normal pay. Generally you are working in the bigger hospitals and while there you will be rotated through a few areas of your choice. A grad program after you graduate is fantastic for consolidating all you have learnt while you are being supported. You will also get to attend more education through the hospital too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to add to what emerald dolly said, you are a full RN in a grad year...it's just that hospitals recognise that it's a really steep learning curve in the first year out, so they provide supernumerary time, educators,support people, learning program's etc. Very helpful. You are paid a full wage, have a full patient load etc, but just have a bit of extra support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Your grad year is a proper job but it's like a bit of extra training under the supervision of preceptorship/educators.

Me, he and our two boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, RN is better for community based, because you're usually working independently. RN increases your scope of practice, meaning that you are more employable because you have all the skills necessary to provide complete patient care. If you are an EN, it means you can't do a whole heap of stuff. Hospitals are under pressure, so patients are discharged earlier and need more complex follow up care, so a community based nurse is increasingly being asked to do more and more complex stuff. But if you want to do EN, just go for it. If you love it and want to increase your skills later you always can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    The other thing I should mention, I would like to work in a community-based role, like the RDNS or similar. I haven't really been imagining myself working in a hospital. Is that setting more suited to an EN than an RN?
    That type of position is much more suited to an RN as they have a wider scope of practice. If you're not inclined to work in a hospital (like myself) then you should definitely do your bachelors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how does a grad year differ from being employed? Less pay? Less responsibility? All the rotten jobs? Lol
    In your grad year you will work part time or full time at the 1st year RN wage. You will have to attend education sessions. You will have to complete written assessments and give presentations. Some hospitals run a mentor program. You will be assessed on certain skills before being able to perform independently to ensure you are competent. Basically you are given a huge amount of support in recognition of the stressful transition from student nurse to RN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also in your grad year you generally spend 4 months on 3 different wards, ie. a medical ward, a surgical ward and a specialty area. It is definitely worthwhile to do a grad year, as others have said, the learning curve is huge going from student to staff nurse and grad nurses generally get amazing support. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I should also mention (lol so many mentions) that I'm a mature student and I've never studied in Australia so I have to take an atar/vetassess and I'm quietly freaking out about my ability to handle formal study. I wonder if I should do some kind of foundation course to prepare myself.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just found one locally but the fees are $15,000

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    100% certain of all of this. I just finished my 1st lot of placements and we were told we can now officially work as AIN's and in fact encouraged to do so (QUT Brisbane). I am currently doing a Bachelor of Nursing (graduate entry) at QUT and it takes 2 years. Here's the link
    https://www.qut.edu.au/study/courses...graduate-entry
    You do however need to have a previous degree to do this option...
    The university that I am attending does not offer this, but I live in a different area to the OP anyway, so that makes a difference. At my uni there is no graduate entry for Nursing, and AIN positions are advertised at the end of 2nd year, with a Jan-Jan contract for third year students.