+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    EN is an 18 month Tafe course, lower rate of pay than RN generally, endorsed EN's can give medications but usually only under supervision of an RN, they usually work under RN's, but they do more hands on nursing.

RN is 3 yr uni course, higher rate of pay, responsible for giving out medications, a lot more paper work and after you do 1st year of uni you are eligible to work as an AIN while completing the rest of your degree.

If you have previously done a uni degree (anything at all, I did politics) you can do your RN in 2 years instead of 3.
    That may depend on your university. I know at my local uni you can't be an AIN until you're a 3rd year student, and not sure on the RN in 2 years thing either, I've never heard of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    That may depend on your university. I know at my local uni you can't be an AIN until you're a 3rd year student, and not sure on the RN in 2 years thing either, I've never heard of that.
    100% certain of all of this. I just finished my 1st lot of placements and we were told we can now officially work as AIN's and in fact encouraged to do so (QUT Brisbane). I am currently doing a Bachelor of Nursing (graduate entry) at QUT and it takes 2 years. Here's the link
    https://www.qut.edu.au/study/courses...graduate-entry
    You do however need to have a previous degree to do this option...
    Last edited by RipperRita; 24-07-2014 at 18:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    and not sure on the RN in 2 years thing either, I've never heard of that.

A lot of uni's seem to be getting on board offering the 2-year graduate entry course now. Some of the courses available include:
    Flinders University Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate entry)
    QUT Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry)
    Latrobe Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate entry)

And there are a few uni's now offering a 2-year graduate-entry Master of Nursing course for those without a previous nursing qualification (these are also pre-registration courses that lead to a RN qualification):
    University of Sydney Master of Nursing (Pre-registration)
    UNE Master of Nursing Practice (Pre-registration)
    Monash Master of Nursing Practice

There is also a 2 year fast-tracked Bachelor of Nursing (UTAS) for those without an undergraduate degree: http://www.fasttracknursing.com

And the USQ Nursing course is able to be structured to allow students to fast-track their 3-year course to 2 years: http://www.usq.edu.au/degrees/bachelor-of-nursing

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone I'm in Melb btw

I'll reply properly later but just quickly, I trust you all when you say it's best to do the Bach. I'm just baulking at the 3 year full time commitment :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gothel, just be warned that grad places for rn's are quite hard to get at the moment in melbourne, particularly in the big hospy's. I'm sure you're totally awesome and would have no trouble getting a position, but it's really something to be aware of before you commit....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Silver flute Do you mean employment for newly graduated rn's? Or places in a rn bach course?
    Last edited by Gothel; 24-07-2014 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am an endorsed en, working in a private hospital on a surgical ward/ day surgery unit. I got paid to do my training 8 years ago but it's all changed now. I did start uni but dropped out and started our family instead. There is around 6 permanent eens and 25 rns on our ward so people tend to forget we aren't registered at times. Paywise the most we can earn is what a 1st year RN makes. I don't think now I will ever go back and finish but that's just me. I also like the fact that I don't have to do all the extras an RN does and the responsibility that goes with it, like ward charge ect. Good luck it's a really flexible job which ever way you go.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you graduate, most people do a grad year in a hospital...it's really difficult to get employment without having completed a grad year. Now a lot of hospitals are cutting the number of grad year positions they offer because of budget and funding cuts. The grads in my unit tell me that they all knew people who missed out, which was almost unheard of when I graduated a couple of years ago...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing I should mention, I would like to work in a community-based role, like the RDNS or similar. I haven't really been imagining myself working in a hospital. Is that setting more suited to an EN than an RN?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    When you graduate, most people do a grad year in a hospital...it's really difficult to get employment without having completed a grad year. Now a lot of hospitals are cutting the number of grad year positions they offer because of budget and funding cuts. The grads in my unit tell me that they all knew people who missed out, which was almost unheard of when I graduated a couple of years ago...
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how does a grad year differ from being employed? Less pay? Less responsibility? All the rotten jobs? Lol