+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Enrolled nurse vs registered nurse?

I'm interested to hear pros and cons of working as an EN or RN please. I'm thinking of going back to study, and I'm tossing up been these two.

So what kind of roles are out there, employment prospects, what do you love/hate about your job, career progression, how difficult was it to get your qualification etc etc. Anything you care to tell me really! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    EN is an 18 month Tafe course, lower rate of pay than RN generally, endorsed EN's can give medications but usually only under supervision of an RN, they usually work under RN's, but they do more hands on nursing.

RN is 3 yr uni course, higher rate of pay, responsible for giving out medications, a lot more paper work and after you do 1st year of uni you are eligible to work as an AIN while completing the rest of your degree.

If you have previously done a uni degree (anything at all, I did politics) you can do your RN in 2 years instead of 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm an RN with additional post grad qualifications and I would strongly recommend doing the little bit of extra study to get your degree (RN). I know many EN's who wish they had done this.

Both are great options, and remember you can always do your EN's then go back either full time or part time to get RN's. My sister did this and although she wishes she had done her degree straight away she was still happy with the outcome. If your interest lies in critical care it is almost impossible to do these as an EN. Having said that aged care and less acute areas of nursing are perfectly suited to EN's.

I am not sure on your location but if you are in or around brisbane I can highly recommend UQ, I studied there and during my career have found that their graduates are exceptional and also the prac placements are far superior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for your RNs if you can. I wouldn't be surprised if one day ENs are phased out. They are the middle man Between AINs and RNs.

I went to Uni with a lot of ENs who were upgrading to their RNs.

The pay rate for RNs is better and a lot more opportunity for career progression. There are also a lot more employment opportunities for RNs in different types of roles other than direct hands on patient care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say go for your RN qualification as well.

There are quite a few 2 year graduate-entry RN courses now.

Also, others such UTas (course delivered in Sydney) as USQ offer the option of fast-tracking, so that you can study over summer and still finish in 2 years even if you don't have a previous degree. I fast-tracked my first degree (full-time, no breaks between semesters) and while it's great to get it over and done with quickly, I probably wouldn't do it now, with 3 kids.

The other thing worth considering is that some uni's offer an exit point, so that you can work as an EN after completing part of your degree.

This would allow you to get the EN qualification in 2 years, and then only have one more year of study before you qualify as a RN.

At UNE for example, "Students who successfully complete the first two years of full-time study have the option to exit with an Advanced Diploma in Nursing, and eligibility to seek Enrolled Nurse status with the Nurses and Midwives Board of NSW".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an RN, I'd agree with PP and say get your RN's instead.
    More career options than an EN and in the hospital I work they made all the EN's endorse so they could do medications.
    The EEN's do so much but get paid so little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an RN and trained in NZ - they've long ago phased out training ENs there. I agree with the others, way more options as to where you want to work (much more restricted with EN). Most of the places I've worked in my career (12 years) I've come across a handful of ENs who mostly take blood and do observations, all the rest of my colleagues are RNs, many with post grad qualifications. So much more choice with RN

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been an en for ten years and have worked in some great places like NICU. If I was you I would do RN straight up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do RN. Where I work, EN's are being phased out hospital wide and I've never seen one in any of the acute (ie interesting to work in!) departments. I did my RN at age 32 (swapped from being a music teacher!) and found the study fascinating...EN's don't study so much anatomy, pharmacology and pathophysiology as RN students and they were the bits of the courses that I (personally) loved. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    Do RN. Where I work, EN's are being phased out hospital wide and I've never seen one in any of the acute (ie interesting to work in!) departments. I did my RN at age 32 (swapped from being a music teacher!) and found the study fascinating...EN's don't study so much anatomy, pharmacology and pathophysiology as RN students and they were the bits of the courses that I (personally) loved. Good luck!
    Spot on... I've started this year at 35 yrs and am enjoying studying more than I ever thought I would. The subjects are so interesting and you can work as AIN while your studying. The only tricky thing is trying to juggle the 2 week hospital placements every semester and childcare ( my children aren't school age for another few years so I rely on family to help out).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Silver flute  (24-07-2014)