+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I was thinking of emailing the principal and going from there. I wasn't sure if I should go straight to the principal or the teacher first.

In regards to the other teacher, i know she lost her job at our school at least, because she had no idea how to teach. She never did class plans for the term at all. She didn't realise she had to, according to the education assistant. The kids were all worse off than before they had started school for the very first time a year earlier. Most of them had forgotten the alphabet and how to form some simple letters, and in some cases forgot how to write their names that they had all worked so hard to learn the year before. They all became brilliant at colouring in though. on the flip side, the school made sure they had an excellent teacher the following year who exceeded her role and worked really hard to get them above and beyond their next year level the following year. That's not the case this year though. This years teacher is considered to be very experienced.

I think it's too late to consider changing classes now as well.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah it probably is too late to change classes - would be very disruptive to her and the other kids.

I guess it depends on your relationship with the teacher (if you have one) whether you approach her first or go straight to the principal.

Probably I would address the teacher first and she what she has to say ... just explain that the constant relief teachers appears to be unsettling your DD and she isnt responding that well.

Maybe suggest that she move classes (not as a realistic suggestion, but just as a course of action so that she can see that its not personal, that you arent blaming her ... you just want a solution that will work for your DD)

And explain that you are going to put it in writing to the principal as its something that the school needs to plan for it much better

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    One of my friends at school has twins. 1 in my ds class the other in the other year one class. Last year the twins were in the same class. Twin 1 was much better at school then twin 2. This year twin 2 is way more in front then twin 1. My friend blames the teacher for being away so often in twin 1 class. The same for my other friend. Her dd was much better at math and spelling last year and this year and gone back a step, she thinks it because the teacher is never there
    I have a friend with twins too, one in our class and one in another. I should ask her how her boys are going in comparison. Good idea!

I'm not too good at confrontation so can you guys help me with an action plan/confrontation plan? Katiesmum idea of suggesting a room change was a good start.

Dd1 assembly is next week and the teacher isn't even here to sort them into roles and help them with lines etc dd1 has told me she doesn't want to be in her assembly which is unlike her because she normally likes that sort of thing. She gets upset if she can't do news each week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to think of it as a confrontation, it's just opening up a dialogue - this is not unusual or unreasonable for you to want to discuss this with the school. I would just say - can I have a quick chat with you, I'm a bit worried about the impact the change in teachers is having on DD, is there a longer term plan to support this occurring? Don't discuss what other parents think, that's their job to speak up. Only speak from your own experience/concerns.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    great advice from babyla there - its just a normal conversation about how your child is doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    So I am going to email the principal. Dd1 just told me her teacher is going to be away for another week again.

How does this sound?

"Hi,

I was just wondering what is going on in regards to the teacher situation in my daughters(dd1) class, room x? The teacher is meant to be Mrs teacher but I have been told that she has been away most of this term already and is set to be away for the rest of this week as well. This is on top of the class already having quite a number of relief teachers this year so far, as i have been told by my daughter as well as other parents. This week the class is meant to host the school assembly and my daughter has expressed her anxiety over not fully knowing what is meant to be happening.

She has also been having anxiety issues in regards to not wanting to go to school this year and I believe this is part of the issue.

I was just wondering if you were able to shed some light on the situation and, if there is likely to be any stability in the class in regards to having a teacher with a more permanent in class presence? I understand Mrs teacher to be of high standing in the school and appreciate the role she has within the community, however I do feel having a relief teacher as regularly as I have been led to believe is not the most ideal situation.

Thank you"
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 28-07-2014 at 18:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    yep I would definitely write a letter - that is not ok

will come back to this tonight and give you my once over ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I just edited it but still should have the original version.

Here:
    Hi,

Is just wondering what is going on in regards to the teacher situation in room ? My daughter, , is on the class. The teacher is meant to be Mrs but I have been told that she has been away most of this term already and is set to be away for the rest of this week as well. That is on top of the class already having a lot of relief teachers this year so far, as i have been told by my daughter as well as other parents. This week the class is meant to host the assembly and my daughter has expressed her anxiety over not fully knowing what is meant to be happening.

She has also been having anxiety issues in regards to not wanting to go to school and I believe this is part of the issue.

I was just wondering if you were able to shed some light on the situation and if there is likely to be any stability in the class in regards to the teacher?
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 28-07-2014 at 19:02.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have just taken what you wrote and fiddled with it a bit....
    Dear .....

I am writing to express my concern regarding the lack of continuity of teacher in room blah blah.

I understand that there are times when Mrs blah blah may be called upon to take on higher duties however the continual disruption is causing my daughter to feel anxious and at times she is reluctant to attend school.

Her class is shortly to host the assembly and Jane (insert your child's name) is feeling confused and again somewhat anxious without her teacher Mrs Blah blah to guide and support the children in this event.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you as soon as possible, please don't hesitate to call me on 66666666666.

I look forward to hearing from you,
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 29-07-2014 at 12:33.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (28-07-2014),babyla  (28-07-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (28-07-2014),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-07-2014),PomPoms  (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    yep - what Biscotti said

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-07-2014),Mod-biscotti  (28-07-2014)