+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default DD class having a significant amount of relief teachers -advice

So dd1 teacher, grade 4, seems to be taking on extra duties to the point she seems to be needing a relief AT LEAST twice a week. This week she is off all week at another school for some reason according to dd1. Dd1 says she quite often fills in as deputy or acting principal when both are away and similar.

I'm starting to wonder how often she is actually there and how this is allowed to happen. It seems she isn't there often at all and talking to other parents they say the same thing.

Does anyone, teachers in particular, have any advice on how this should be dealt with?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    gee that makes it hard. twice a week

no advice - just

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friends dd has a teacher like this (class next to my ds). This has been the first year for her to go full time and she has never been at school for a whole week straight. It is driving my friends crazy because there is always a relief teacher sometimes the same one sometimes different ones. No advice but I know it must be frustrating

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 copped it in pre primary as well. She didn't handle the constant flow of teachers through the class and started hating going to school. It seems to be starting up again. Her other teacher was a teacher who eventually lost her job due to incompetence as the class fell so behind. Dd1 grades have slipped only slightly this year though. Dd1 struggles socially and it doesn't help having a teacher who has no idea what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go up and speak to the principal about your concerns. That you feel the constant change in teachers is having an impact. Although this can and does happen in schools due to lots of reasons, schools can manage it a lot better through consistency of CRT's if they know there will be high absence. Principals will listen to parents concerns about this sort of thing. We often have had a change in teachers or had to manage high absence and parent concerns is always high on our radar.

Just in regards to your DD's other teacher, teachers can't lose their jobs due to classes falling behind in the state system. We don't have a performance pay model, there must have been other of reasons or maybe the teachers contract was up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-07-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (28-07-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I would go up and speak to the principal about your concerns. That you feel the constant change in teachers is having an impact. Although this can and does happen in schools due to lots of reasons, schools can manage it a lot better through consistency of CRT's if they know there will be high absence. Principals will listen to parents concerns about this sort of thing. We often have had a change in teachers or had to manage high absence and parent concerns is always high on our radar.

Just in regards to your DD's other teacher, teachers can't lose their jobs due to classes falling behind in the state system. We don't have a performance pay model, there must have been other of reasons or maybe the teachers contract was up.
    Totally agree about speaking to the principal. Often the flip side to having a highly experienced and competent teacher is that they are often the ones that need to step up and fill in for leadership, so I would be seeing that as a whole school issue ie is the principal away a lot? Ours is away on average one to two days a week this year at meetings and training, and it is frustrating as the school never runs as smoothly when the principal isn't there. So I guess my point is, it's really a whole school issue, and quite valid to be talking to the principal.

Also @babyla, that's interesting what you wrote at the end there. In SA you most certainly can - it's called poor performance. The teacher goes on something called 'managing poor performance' where they are mentored by another teacher then assessed at the end. I mentored a teacher while I was pregnant who was so incompetent I considered taking maternity leave early because he stressed me out so much! He is no longer a teacher in the public system. It was a long, drawn-out process involving lawyers and evidence, so I know they try to avoid it. I always just assumed it was the same system nationwide. Sorry for OT, DSS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Totally agree about speaking to the principal. Often the flip side to having a highly experienced and competent teacher is that they are often the ones that need to step up and fill in for leadership, so I would be seeing that as a whole school issue ie is the principal away a lot? Ours is away on average one to two days a week this year at meetings and training, and it is frustrating as the school never runs as smoothly when the principal isn't there. So I guess my point is, it's really a whole school issue, and quite valid to be talking to the principal.

Also @babyla, that's interesting what you wrote at the end there. In SA you most certainly can - it's called poor performance. The teacher goes on something called 'managing poor performance' where they are mentored by another teacher then assessed at the end. I mentored a teacher while I was pregnant who was so incompetent I considered taking maternity leave early because he stressed me out so much! He is no longer a teacher in the public system. It was a long, drawn-out process involving lawyers and evidence, so I know they try to avoid it. I always just assumed it was the same system nationwide. Sorry for OT, DSS.
    Sorry you're right, I guess in that kind of instance you can, but I think it would be extremely hard to do this from one class falling behind which was what I was taking that from - that the teacher lost their job due to poor performance in a single class. It is a drawn out process and I had one which took several years spanning several classes. Sorry for OT continuation

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-07-2014),harvs  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would talk to the principal too. Maybe they could ensure that the relief teacher is the same one for most of the time. Our school has serval classes that teacher share (normal teacher 4 days and second one every friday and for most relief sessions) or have the same relief teacher as much as possible. That way she builds a relationship with with the second teacher and helps with flow of the class.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Oh and I find it incredibly sad that bad teachers can't be sacked more easily.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-07-2014),LaDiDah  (24-07-2014),VicPark  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of my friends at school has twins. 1 in my ds class the other in the other year one class. Last year the twins were in the same class. Twin 1 was much better at school then twin 2. This year twin 2 is way more in front then twin 1. My friend blames the teacher for being away so often in twin 1 class. The same for my other friend. Her dd was much better at math and spelling last year and this year and gone back a step, she thinks it because the teacher is never there

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post: